News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Searching - for an answer

Started by madbean, October 24, 2018, 03:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

The search function continues to crash every few days so I have been repairing it every so often. Anyone here know enough about PHP or SQL to guess as to what would make the log_search_results table crash so easily? I've looked a bit on smf support but haven't really found an answer.

Aentons

What version of SMF? What database are you using? MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite. I have seen issues like that with PostgreSQL.

How do you repair it?...restore from backup?

edit: I see at the bottom it's SMF 2.0.12

thesmokingman

admin>search>search method .... set it to not index
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBRAddict

I've never had one of these SMF sites, so I'm ignorant of how it is laid out. Is the search part of the built-in functionality or is it an add-on module?

Aentons

Looks like the Search function is down again

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on November 07, 2018, 04:27:35 PM
Looks like the Search function is down again

II have smf working on building a custom search index but it will take some time. It might fix the issue.

Ekimneets

Brian, I know it's a PITB, but when the search function is working it helps me to ask a lot less stupid questions.

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

jimilee

Quote from: Ekimneets on November 07, 2018, 05:36:53 PM
Brian, I know it's a PITB, but when the search function is working it helps me to ask a lot less stupid questions.

-Mike
Go to google and enter this
Site:www.madbeanpedals.com stuff you're searching for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

The new search index should actually be even better and pretty fast (and with no crashes). It just takes a long time to build. Luckily it's automatic. I had it running for about 6 hours today and it was up to 40% completion. But, it was timing out the forum so I'll probably try and run it in the wee hours.

thesmokingman

yeah reindexing is an off-hours event
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Ekimneets

Wow, jimilee that works great.

Thx,

it really does cut down on an enormous amount of dumb questions.

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

cresconio

I'd be happy to take a closer look.

movinginslomo

Can this be stickied until the search function is restored? Especially if someone were to go "did you use the.. oh wait.. hmm" to someone's question

madbean

Quote from: movinginslomo on November 08, 2018, 02:37:36 PM
Can this be stickied until the search function is restored? Especially if someone were to go "did you use the.. oh wait.. hmm" to someone's question

Stickied, and guaranteed to be ignored by someone :)

I'll run some more of the indexing tonight. Maybe it can be ready by tomorrow.

madbean

So, the custom index basically ended up crashing so I ditched it. Search in re-enabled again this time with the standard index. Hopefully that will help the situation. Please post here if you find search crashed again.