News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any experience/caveats with Ali-Baba

Started by Ekimneets, October 26, 2018, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

So, I still can't source the 2/2.5ka 16mm pots that I need. Am desperate and looking over at Ali-Baba.

Is this a bad idea or does anyone have some caveats?

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

alanp

IIRC, Ali-Baba is the Chinese equivalent of Ebay, or Amazon. It's a marketplace provider, with lots of little vendors selling through it. Some vendors are good, some are mediocre, others are rip-off merchants.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

If you join up they will give you a free $10 to start with.  But you can only spend it $4 at a time, and only on purchases over a certain amount.  So don't assume you will get that on your first purchase.

From memory, the price didn't include tax until checkout.  That may vary depending on your country. 

Other than that, seems to be much like eBay, as Alan says.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad. 

Ekimneets

Thanks guys, I'm not used to having this much trouble sourcing parts. It's frustrating when you are up against a hard deadline.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

mjg

Depending on how many legs of the pot you need, could you use a 5k linear with 5k resistor across the pins, as that tends to behave similar to a 2.5kA. 

Will depend on the circuit, but might be an option if you have a spare 5kB pot.

Ekimneets

Sorry took so long to reply I've just finished digging through every last pot that I have and I swear I have everything but. However I can order those without a problem.

I am bollicks at reading schematics but I think these were the two relevant sections.

I am in absolute babe in the woods when it comes to doing anything it's not strictly run-of-the-mill. Would you mind walking me through it?

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

alanp

Remember, Mike, pots are basically only resistors, and thus must bow to Ohm's Law.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
https://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html

The last link will show calculators for putting resistors in parallel with pots, to give just the right resistance you need for the pot, and the taper. This also works with dual gang.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ekimneets

Yes, how soon I forget even the basics. You're the best alanp!

Help me teach myself.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone