News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Headtrip build

Started by gordo, October 28, 2018, 07:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This is a very cool pedal.  All kinds of usable stuff here both on the normal and not-so-normal scale.  I'm a big fan of the FV-1 chip so this was a no brainer.  Even considering the FV-1 this is an easy build.  I went with 1/8 watt resistors because I had them all in stock.  FV-1 and Xtal from SB.  There was enough room in this to include my version of the Coda bypass (which is my default bypass these days...I love not having a click) although I had to spin it 180 to get it to fit.  The inclusion of 3 of the stock sounds is cool because they're workhorse settings: nice reverb, nice chorus, nice pitch transpose.

The real fun begins with the MB patches.  Atmospheric phasey delay is really cool.  I can see using the choir setting for ambient swells (I do a lot of this stuff in my church band) and I'd add another delay to spread it out a bit.  And having an approximation of the Parallax is icing on the cake.

Kind of a gushy review but I spent an hour fiddling with it after getting it boxed up and had a blast.   My wife cut it short by telling me to wrap it up so we could get out to dinner.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Most excellent...! I have to check out those latest offerings, I've been a few days away and there's great stuff to catch up to...!
Great build, tasty review, time for dinner! ;)
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Awesome work, Looks really nice.

mjg

Nice work.

Where's the relay on the bypass?  Have you put that on the underside of the board?

Rockhorst

Waiting for my package to arrive, very stoked about this thing. Yours looks very nice, extremely clean inside and out. Digging the purple :)

peAk

gordo

The relay and the 10uF cap hang off the bottom of the board.  If I'd put more thought into this I'd have moved the switch back a fraction of an inch and the jacks forward just a bit and I'd be able to run the board in it's normal orientation.  But hey, it works.

I don't use reverb very much.  I think in a band mix in a big room it's too easy for a reverby guitar to get lost.  What I DO use it for is a real "effected" sound and pads/swells where I'm usually out in the open in a mix.  So this sized pedal will work nicely behind my normal delay (TC Nova).  The cool delays the Headtrip does will be a nice change of pace on their own or add all kinds of texture to pads and swells.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Invertiguy

Looks great, dude! All the more reason to clear out my backlog and get started on mine!
Doomsday Devices