News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Sale coming Thursday Nov 1st - for a good cause

Started by madbean, October 31, 2018, 05:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Some of you have probably already heard the Peter will be shutting down VFE for good in the near future. This is due to some personal medical issues with his newborn which will require a lot of his time. And, money. You can find more details in his video on the front page of the VFE site.

Peter is also running a GoFundMe to help defray some of the medical expenses he is incurring. So, let's do our part and help out. We're going to help meet that goal!

Starting tomorrow and going through at least Monday (possibly longer) afternoon - All VFE projects will be on sale. 100% of the sales (minus shipping charges) will be donated directly to the GoFundMe at the conclusion of the sale. I will also be adding to that my own personal donation.

I emailed Peter a couple days ago to run this by him first but I haven't heard from him. So, I'd rather barrel ahead and ask forgiveness later in case he objects. In any case, let's help give back to a great guy who has supported mbp and the DIY community so much! I'll post in the forum tomorrow afternoon once the sale is live.

Boba7

That's great, I just read about it on TGP. Very kind of you to organize that. He's such a great designer and builder, and seems like a super nice guy.
Hope he gets what they need and more!!

Willybomb

I saw the GFM link on pedalpcb and have donated. 

Without turning this political, I have no idea why in western society a family should go broke because a baby needs surgery to fix a cleft palate.  This would have annoyed me 2 years ago, but now that I have my own baby, I'm fucking furious.  It shouldn't even be an issue.  Good on you Brian and BuGG.

bsoncini

Thanks for the heads up. Just donated to the GoFundMe.

When is the US gonna get a real health care system that doesn't rely on gofundme like the rest of the industriaized world?

madbean

Sale is live. All projects marked down to $10. Patreon bundle is $25 (only have a few of those left).

sonnyboy27

Just ordered the bundle and a white horse. Thanks for setting this up and taking a bit of a hit to help a friend.

Boba7

Just a white horse for me too, it seems my thirst for good compressors is neverending. :D

Thanks a lot!

Rockhorst

Donated to the GFM directly. That stuff is hard to watch. My son is now 7 months old, had surgery when he was 3 weeks old (and doing fine). No bills (for us). It's insane that a new born baby does not have a standard right to health care. This stuff is hard enough as it is. Wishing Peter all the best, might order a pedal actually.

BryGuy

Great idea Brian. I'll order something and throw it in the backlog pile.

gordo

I won't even get into the current political/financial/medical situation here in the US but it's super sad that it EVER has to come to this.  I'm happy to donate but will pass on the boards.  Bean, I know this is close to you and I'd rather pay for boards I need than make you dig deeper.  You've been very upfront about your support.  I'd like to think there will come a time when we as Americans won't have to beg for mercy to provide for our families.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ekimneets

Sorry I can't let it go. I spent over 20 years in the medical field in many different positions from high to low. I cannot begin to relate to you all of the horror stories I have witnesses due to the lack of what should be a basic human right.

There is an insane amount of profiteering that goes on in our medical system from drug companies and device manufacturers to the insurance companies themselves and none of it benefits the patient, and only lines  the pockets of those who are already rich.

All right stepping down off of Soapbox.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

madbean

Well, I think it's inevitable the the US will go to single payer or universal healthcare within a few more years. The current for-profit model is just not sustainable. Insurance industries and health care providers have been able to rig the system well enough over the last 25 years to keep it from imploding but there is a course we are on that has a predictable outcome. And, of course, America's leaders do the right thing after all other options have been exhausted.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on November 01, 2018, 01:54:46 PM
Well, I think it's inevitable the the US will go to single payer or universal healthcare within a few more years. The current for-profit model is just not sustainable. Insurance industries and health care providers have been able to rig the system well enough over the last 25 years to keep it from imploding but there is a course we are on that has a predictable outcome. And, of course, America's leaders do the right thing after all other options have been exhausted.

Goodness, I hope this is true. Single payer would be an improvement, and it would go a long way to keep people from declaring bankruptcy because they needed healthcare. I'm just concerned that we can't get together to do big things anymore.

Invertiguy

Just ordered a Triumvirate, a White Horse, and the Bundle! That should keep me busy for awhile, and I'm happy to contribute to a good cause!
Doomsday Devices

brucer

Ordered a White Horse and an Alpha Dog.

Thanks Brian (and, of course, thanks Peter).

Have to say that I'm with others who are amazed a family in a western, industrialized country needs to raise funds for a basic surgery.  Very thankful for the system where I am.  Still, feeling for Peter and happy to have offered a small contribution.