News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

colorsound wah values?

Started by movinginslomo, November 02, 2018, 09:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

I want to build a colorsound wah with my weener board. I have a TDK and a whipple inductor and either a hot potz I, a hotpotz II or a whipple ICAR taper pot. would any of those get me the right sweep? Anyone have values for resistors and caps?

HamSandwich

What colorsound wah are you trying to build? Do you have a schematic?

The most notorious colorsound wah is the inductorless one, which is a completely different circuit from the standard Vox/Dunlop/Weener and if it could be adapted to the weener it would be by coinsidence and not design. There are also multiple weener wah boards.

movinginslomo

The original inductor model, and the latest weener wah board. Do the inductor and inductorless ones sound completely different then a vox style circuit?

thomasha

The inductorless sounds different, weak at the waka waka but quite good for the rest.

Most of the inductor wahs have the same structure, with some small changes to shape the sound and change the range. They sound different, but they can sound the same with some tweaks.

movinginslomo

That's what I want, the colorsound tweaks! I could spend a long time socketing parts

thomasha

There are some schematics available, but there is another problem that crossed my mind...

The mecanism of the colorsound wah uses a cam, and has a different range and sweep. If you're using a vox or crybaby mechanism it will have a different sweep. I'm not sure if changing the pot is enough to correct that, but there are some videos where people use 50k pots or change the gear to have a wider wah. It will require some testing.

movinginslomo

Quote from: thomasha on November 03, 2018, 10:54:28 PM
There are some schematics available, but there is another problem that crossed my mind...

The mecanism of the colorsound wah uses a cam, and has a different range and sweep. If you're using a vox or crybaby mechanism it will have a different sweep. I'm not sure if changing the pot is enough to correct that, but there are some videos where people use 50k pots or change the gear to have a wider wah. It will require some testing.

Yea I was wondering if I could get away with the regular teeth treadle combo..

Maybe I just need head over to the DIYstomp forum and ask Joe Gagan what he does for his "Joe-Sonic" wahs.

movinginslomo

ok this thread is now moot, bought a Joe Gagan Joe-Sonic drop in board on reverb. Let the man himself do it and source the parts. Should've done this in the first place, guy knows his wahs