News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pickit 2 Software Windows 10

Started by chongmagic, November 04, 2018, 06:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chongmagic

I ordered a Pickit 2 to mess around with FV-1 programming. However, I can't seem to set it up on Windows 10 it will never detect the device. Has anyone setup their Pickit 2 on Windows 10?

gordo

Mines running ok. Don't recall having to do anything special. Run the installation as administrator?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Gordy Power

chongmagic

Pickit 2, I installed the v2.61 software and when I open it, it indicates that the device is not found.

Should I have purchased a Pickit 3? I read a few threads in some other forums about the Pickit 2 not liking USB 3.0 ports and that is about all I have on my computer.

madbean

Have you tried selecting the device from the menu in the software?

chongmagic

Quote from: madbean on November 05, 2018, 06:02:36 AM
Have you tried selecting the device from the menu in the software?

I didn't see that option but it was getting late and I am unfamiliar with the software. I will check that again this evening.

chongmagic

I cannot even click on device family, it is grayed out.

I get the message, Pickit 2 not found. Check USB connections. The LED on the device is lit up and plugged in.

From what I can tell there are some issues using it with Windows 10.

madbean

Try changing the program compatibility to an earlier version of Windows. Right click on Pickit2 software icon and set compatibility to Windows 8. Try using a different USB cable and/or port.

gordo

Sorry, I shouldn't answer questions when I'm half asleep.  I'm not running the app in any compatibility mode.   I'm running v2.61.  This fix might be worth looking at although I don't recall having to jump thru hoops to get the software to work:

https://youtu.be/NM1MN8QZhnk

I also read about the device not working correctly with other USB devices plugged in and not being compatible with USB3 ports.
Gordy Power

chongmagic

Yeah I have tried different ports and a different cable no dice. Unfortunately I don't have any USB 2.0 ports available.

I will keep searching to see if I can find an answer. It took me quite a while to get SpinCAD working. But it seems to be ok now.

chongmagic

So I got the Pickit 2 working sorta, I have to unplug my mouse and then it will detect the device. I am going to Google it and see if I can find a workaround.

In the pickit 2 software it doesn't list the PIC chip that can be programmed into the FV-1 circuit, does it show on anyone else's setup?

chongmagic

I have a box running Server 2012 and I got it to work that way, I have to RDP into it and have the Pickit 2 connected there. A convoluted workaround but hey it works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaEmbassy

I wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion for others who may be having problems getting their Pickit 2 to work under Windows 10:

I have a Microsoft Surface Book as my daily driver. 
I bought a Pickit 2 device from AliExpress for a few dollars, along with a unit to program the EEPROM
I downloaded the Pickit 2 software (version 2.61) and decided to check it all worked.

When I plugged the Pickit 2 unit into my Surface Book, Windows 10 made the sound to confirm it had detected a new USB device - BUT, when I ran the Pickit 2 software, it did not detect the device.  Error message was "PICkit 2 not found. Check USB connections and use Tools -> Check Communications to retry".  No matter what I did, or what rabbit holes I followed from numerous Google searches, I could not get the software to detect the device.

Then I read this thread, and saw the note about unplugging ALL other USB devices on the Surface Book.  I have the Surface Book connected to a docking station, which in turn connects to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, external headphones, etc.,.  But I decided to unplug USB device, reboot, and plug in ONLY the Pickit 2 device.  THIS WORKED!

And if I plugged in my docking station, then the Pickit 2 would not work. 

Lesson:  To get the Pickit 2 device to be detected and operational with a Microsoft Surface laptop, unplug ALL other USB devices first. Then open the Pickit 2 software.

Cheers,

MBC