News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

transistors for weener build

Started by movinginslomo, November 08, 2018, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

decide to populate the weener board in the stock clyde form for future use with the whipple inductor. The BOM cals for bc108's. Are gains of the actual transistors all that important in this build? I have the 70's crybaby board with whatever transistors are on it, could I re-use those? I found the sound of the 70's TDK craybaby to be somewhat lame, hence the start of this entire wah mission. Would the old transistors be a possible cause of why the crybaby sounded so lackluster? The geofx "technology of the wah" article suggests the transistors aren't a major factor in the sound

movinginslomo

TFZ

Take anything with highish gain, 300-400 or more, and it should work fine. A BC550C is cents, I doubt that 50 year old silicon is lower noise or "sounds better". BC108/9 is basically the same thing, just the older version.

movinginslomo

Quote from: TFZ on November 12, 2018, 12:28:25 PM
Take anything with highish gain, 300-400 or more, and it should work fine. A BC550C is cents, I doubt that 50 year old silicon is lower noise or "sounds better". BC108/9 is basically the same thing, just the older version.

so any bc108/109 from smallbear in the 300-400-ish range should be suitable?

TFZ