News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UberTuber Deluxe and VFE update

Started by madbean, November 23, 2018, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I found some sturdy cardboard boxes that will fit in my padded envelopes so the UberTuber Deluxe (which includes a pre-tested 6111 tube) no longer requires Priority Shipping. The price has been lowered from $29 to $25. Also, I can now offer these to customers outside the USA. If you have a current order that has not shipped, you will be refunded the $4 difference at the time of shipping (probably tomorrow).

I have a small batch of left-over 6111 tubes that should be available to purchase individually in a few days, as well. I need to screen these first.

Lastly, the VFE sale pretty much wiped out my supply of MCU so many projects are sold out. I have an email out to Peter to get some more so hopefully everything will be back in stock soon. It looks like I will be able to get some more Dragon, Pinball and Standout PCBs, as well. The final VFE projects (Focus, DarkHorse and Bumblebee) should release before the end of the year, if all goes well.

madbean

Speaking of tubes, here is a Korg NuTube project I'm working on.

gordo

I'm looking forward to a nutube thing.  I snagged one of the Vox MV amps when they first came out and I always carry it with me as a backup because it is so small and easy.  Not sure it's worthy of the original hype but it would do in a pinch.  Still I have to think that and OD would be pretty cool.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

Quote from: gordo on November 23, 2018, 05:04:59 PM
I'm looking forward to a nutube thing.  I snagged one of the Vox MV amps when they first came out and I always carry it with me as a backup because it is so small and easy.  Not sure it's worthy of the original hype but it would do in a pinch.  Still I have to think that and OD would be pretty cool.

How tube-y do those MV's sound anyway? I've contemplated buying one as I've always wanted a tube amp, but I live in a tiny apartment with thin walls. So, a tube run, headphone out-able amp piqued my interest.

But if its just a gimmick and won't have any of the saturating character of tubes, I wouldn't bother. But alas, that is one thing most online reviews seem to glaze over. 

EBK

I definitely want one of those pretested 6111 tubes.  I've done everything I can with the one I got from smallbear.  I'll probably be ordering something else soon (build backlog be damned), so if you don't mind setting one aside....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Jules

I have a Nudrive pedal I built from pedalpcb that I like quite a bit.
It came with a seperate pcb to mount the nutube with SIP sockets attaching it.
I like the idea so the nutube can be socketed and tried with different projects without buying a new one every time. It is an expensive part.

mjcyates

I have the Vox MV50 Clean. I play it through a WGS G10C and I think it sounds great! Haven't gigged with it yet but at home it sounds really good.

madbean

Quote from: Jules on November 24, 2018, 02:02:58 AM
I have a Nudrive pedal I built from pedalpcb that I like quite a bit.
It came with a seperate pcb to mount the nutube with SIP sockets attaching it.
I like the idea so the nutube can be socketed and tried with different projects without buying a new one every time. It is an expensive part.

Yeah I think I will do something like that. The pins are spaced 2mm apart so regular in-line 2.54mm sockets won't work. But a little breakout board would be just right.

Anyway, I doubt this would be a regular project if it works out. Mostly something I am interested in trying and then doing a small run of if I like it. The design could easily be adapted for sub-mini, too. It's got TBM controls with a tone bypass switch.

gordo

I've got the MV Clean as well and it does sound quite "tubey".  It cleans up relatively well with the guitar volume if pushed and does a nice overdrive.  It also responds well to pedals and boosters.  The Class D amp is VERY loud but it doesn't have the grunt you get from a tube power section, or a solid state back end for that matter.  Still, it does what it does very nicely and has a nice Voxy sound to it.  My normal live rig is either a Peavey 6505+mh at 20 watts or a Lab Series L5 at 100 watts and if either goes down I can have the MV online in a matter of minutes and would have no qualms about finishing the set with it.

Back on track with this thread though....the nutube is cool enough that I'd think it would make a very interesting OD, and I hadn't even thought about the modular idea.  Makes sense as it's a fairly pricey little devil.
Gordy Power

madbean

-I shuffled some stock around and was able to add a few Springboards back in.
-I should have plenty of MCU before the end of the year so VFE stock will return to normal soon.
-Also, I will definitely be getting some more Dragon, Pinball and Standout before the end of the year.

gordo

Big Dragon fan here.  It's one of those drives that could easily be ignored due to the lack of fireworks.  On my board it sits with the gain at about 11:00, the level at about 8:00 (as in barely on) and the EQ's dependent on the tune.  It's capable of just stupid output levels.  I used it with the UberTuber thru a late 50's Champ clone the other weekend and with a strat could go from well into break up all the way to "I think this thing is going to explode".
Gordy Power

Aentons

Quote from: gordo on November 25, 2018, 10:16:00 AM
Big Dragon fan here.  It's one of those drives that could easily be ignored due to the lack of fireworks.  On my board it sits with the gain at about 11:00, the level at about 8:00 (as in barely on) and the EQ's dependent on the tune.  It's capable of just stupid output levels.  I used it with the UberTuber thru a late 50's Champ clone the other weekend and with a strat could go from well into break up all the way to "I think this thing is going to explode".

Not sure, but I think the Dragon is the simplified version of the Dragon Hound (Vomit Hound)  which is an Alpha Dog (Rat) and a Pale Horse in parallel. The Pale Horse is the one that has some serious output.