News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler with Mods - 2nd Madbean build

Started by Bluestrat, October 16, 2011, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluestrat

Mangler with 25k Bias knob, switchable output caps. trans copper enclosure from Pedal Parts, matched NOS American Germanium trans from Small Bear, NOS Rogan knobs and Fender amber amp jewel. Small cap on the input is to filter out RF noise.

Great sound! Warm, very volume sensitive. Having the bias knob up top lets me get a variety of tones. I wanted a little cut in the bass so I added a 22uF cap on the switch with the stock 47uF. Not a huge difference but a little brighter mids and a touch less bass. I've only owned one other Fuzz Face, a mid 90's Dunlop that I couldn't use. This is a completely different animal. Didn't know what I was missin'  ;D

stecykmi

Beautiful build, but C3 is the cap you'll want to switch if you want to change the output. C4 is just power supply filtering and has no effect on the frequency characteristics.

Bluestrat

Quote from: stecykmi on October 16, 2011, 05:01:31 PM
Beautiful build, but C3 is the cap you'll want to switch if you want to change the output. C4 is just power supply filtering and has no effect on the frequency characteristics.

Oops :( Looking at the schematic you are right. Somewhere I had read here that I should change C4 but I can't find it and even so it must not be right. Thanks! Easy enough to swap the switch. I do get a slight change in the mids with the C4 but not as much as I had expected.

Any suggestions on what caps to use in C3 to lower the bass output?

petesz

Without having built the Mangler, i would say you would need to go 1uf or less for any noticeable difference.

stecykmi

if you're trying to cut bass a little, a cap that is somewhat smaller should be swapped in place of C3. I would try something like 0.005uF, but do a little research because I can guarantee that someone somewhere has done this mod on a fuzz face and written about it on the internet before, haha.

alternatively, you could swap out C1 with something much smaller since 2.2uF lets pretty much everything pass through it. something more like 0.01uF would work, but you'll have to experiment.

edit: you could go with the Zygote's values for C1 for 0.068uF with 2.2uF switchable. I think that may be better than playing around with C3.

nzCdog

eldanko

Never thought about shielding the transistor leads.  Anyone else do this?  Big difference?  My fuzz does have a tendency to pick up radio stations sometimes...  :D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

stecykmi

they're more insulated than they are shielded. i think people do this just so they don't have to cut the leads so much. in case they want to rip them out they've still got a lot of usable lead left.

Bluestrat

Quote from: eldanko on October 17, 2011, 09:19:38 AM
Never thought about shielding the transistor leads.  Anyone else do this?  Big difference?  My fuzz does have a tendency to pick up radio stations sometimes...  :D

Quote from: stecykmi on October 17, 2011, 09:36:04 AM
they're more insulated than they are shielded. i think people do this just so they don't have to cut the leads so much. in case they want to rip them out they've still got a lot of usable lead left.

Yes, i did that to insulate the lead (cause I'm obsessive ;D) and for the way it looks. I just like it. I also had radio pickup with this pedal. Several forum members suggested I put a small cap on the input and it works great. You can see that on the input jack in the photo. I used a 100pF Ceramic Disk cap from the tip to ground on the input jack.

keysandguitars

That is an awesome looking build, one of my favorites I've seen. The jewel light is a nice touch.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

sgmezei

Quote from: keysandguitars on October 17, 2011, 03:01:07 PM
That is an awesome looking build, one of my favorites I've seen. The jewel light is a nice touch.

Me too. That jewel is a beautiful addition. I might have to use that idea. Looks real slick. Great build.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks so vintage! The color/knobs really give me that impression. And that jewel, well done!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

masterlk

WOW!! I love the look of this pedal. I had the jewel cover idea for my Darkside build...you beat me too it! Two thumbs up!