News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pepper Spray - Harmonic Percolator

Started by Bio77, December 08, 2018, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

This was my first 1590A build.  Hats off to you guys that do these all the time.  It took me several iterations to get everything crammed in.

cajone5

Looks great.

1590a builds give me anxiety.

jimilee

You know, that does look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rockola

Love the graphics. On a slightly related note, one of the sentences in the Berlitz "Russian for travellers" book back in the Soviet days was "I would like to buy a percolator." Dunno if the modern editions still have it.

Bret608

Great build! Did you go with stock or Albini specs? The Albini was actually my first build (seven years ago-how did that happen?), and I've had a stock version built up for some time that I just haven't gotten around to boxing. Funny coincidence though--I was working on a graphic last month and found a image to use that is almost the same as the one you used. Love that mid-20th century design aesthetic!

Pro tip, the volume knob cleanup on this circuit is excellent--it's smoother/more gradual than what you might get on a Fuzz Face.

Bio77

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Quote from: Bret608 on December 10, 2018, 06:07:35 AM
Great build! Did you go with stock or Albini specs? The Albini was actually my first build (seven years ago-how did that happen?), and I've had a stock version built up for some time that I just haven't gotten around to boxing. Funny coincidence though--I was working on a graphic last month and found a image to use that is almost the same as the one you used. Love that mid-20th century design aesthetic!

Pro tip, the volume knob cleanup on this circuit is excellent--it's smoother/more gradual than what you might get on a Fuzz Face.

I followed the build docs, which I believe are the Albini specs. 

I pulled the coffee pot off an old advertisement I found online.  It's funny when I search for images sometime and there is one image that is everywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same one, it's the google "winner" of a percolator search. ;D

jim-analog (analogbros.com)

Greetings,

Nice build!  I'm just ordering a couple of these boards today. I usually add some options on switches after I do a preliminary build on the bench, prior to a final, boxed version. I'll try a bunch of different cap values, diode/transistor types/etc. and then try to decide which options would be most usable for the final version. Then I'll figure out what sized enclosure best fits. I tend to build pedals to the more roomy side, although it seems the current trend is to go smaller.

So, what is your opinion of the sound/usability of the PS? How would you compare/rate it to/against other distortion boxes? Are you inclined to try any of the alternate component values or had you previously? Thanks much for any input.

Regards, Jim

Bio77

Quote from: jim-analog (analogbros.com) on December 10, 2018, 02:00:08 PM

Greetings,

Nice build!  I'm just ordering a couple of these boards today. I usually add some options on switches after I do a preliminary build on the bench, prior to a final, boxed version. I'll try a bunch of different cap values, diode/transistor types/etc. and then try to decide which options would be most usable for the final version. Then I'll figure out what sized enclosure best fits. I tend to build pedals to the more roomy side, although it seems the current trend is to go smaller.

So, what is your opinion of the sound/usability of the PS? How would you compare/rate it to/against other distortion boxes? Are you inclined to try any of the alternate component values or had you previously? Thanks much for any input.

Regards, Jim

I'm not really a fuzz lover, so, I'm not the best person to comment/compare.  Maybe other people will have opinions.  I built a fuzz face a few months ago that I like but that's about the extent of it. 

This board was a give away from MB.  I built it mainly to give a 1590A build a try.  Also, I'm a junkie at this point :o 

cooder

Excellent! Cool graphics too, dig it! Nice shoe horning... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer