News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hey, collectible card guys, I need some help with valuation

Started by culturejam, December 20, 2018, 09:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

So, I've been carting around some comic book cards since the early 1990s, and I think maybe it's time to part with them. But I'm having trouble finding info on how to price them. eBay values are all over the place.

So I have a complete set of 1992 Marvel Masterpiece cards (including the 5 etched foil cards). I also have a 1993 set of non-Masterpiece Marvel cards with the bonus cards. And some Deep Space Nine cards (which I think is a complete set with holograms, etc). And then some "Deathwatch 2000" cards that I don't even remember collecting. All of these are in excellent shape and in plastic pages/binders.

Oh, and I have a bunch of older Empire Strikes Back cards that I think were gifted to me when I was maybe 8 or 10. They are not in great shape, but are kinda cool.

Can anybody point me in a good direction for realistic sale prices on these cards? Thanks, boys.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

fair.child

flanagan0718

I'd be interested what you find. I have a bunch of Marvel sets from the early 90's myself.

pickdropper

I need to do this as well.  I have a pile of autographed baseball and football cards, including some HOF players. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

madbean

I still have all my comics thinking they would just continue to increase in value over decades. I was wrong :(

But, yeah, I gotta get on this someday. I have tons of Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men from the 80's.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 21, 2018, 05:45:41 AM
I still have all my comics thinking they would just continue to increase in value over decades. I was wrong :(

But, yeah, I gotta get on this someday. I have tons of Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men from the 80's.
Comics do increase in value, the thing now is you gotta have them graded. The market comes and goes in waves. Cards on the other hand are a very specific market. Unless you find a collector, they're yours to keep. Their is a comics price guide on the market, or used to be, but I can't remember what it's called. Is The Overstreet price guide still a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Quote from: jimilee on December 21, 2018, 06:56:52 AM
Quote from: madbean on December 21, 2018, 05:45:41 AM

Comics do increase in value, the thing now is you gotta have them graded. The market comes and goes in waves. Cards on the other hand are a very specific market. Unless you find a collector, they're yours to keep. Their is a comics price guide on the market, or used to be, but I can't remember what it's called. Is The Overstreet price guide still a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still collect comics and I'm currently working on Amazing Spiderman...I'd be interested in these if you are looking to unload.

midwayfair

Check e-bay closed auctions, that's your best bet. If you're going to Ebay them you can use it as a metric. Otherwise subtract some percentage. Collectibles stores are highly unlikely to be interested in CCGs that no one still plays (many Magic cards from 93-94 are becoming stupidly valuable, though, because it's still played; it's actually a problem). And don't pay to have anything graded that isn't already intrinsically valuable. It's quite expensive.

A cursory glance at Ebay says that you might be lucky to get a couple-few hundred dollars for your Marvel cards if they're complete sets.

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on December 21, 2018, 10:20:11 AM
A cursory glance at Ebay says that you might be lucky to get a couple-few hundred dollars for your Marvel cards if they're complete sets.

I'd be thrilled with that. But I saw full sets of the 93 Masterpiece set for like $50 last night and they seem to be sitting for weeks. So I thought it would be a lot lower than what you are saying. I really hope you're right.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects