News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion L5 preamp build (Long overdue)

Started by Ekimneets, December 28, 2018, 06:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

Hey all,

Sorry this took so long. The move and getting set up took a lot longer than I thought.

Learned a ton. To slow down and take my time, how to modify pots to obtain different values, a little about SMD's, capacitors and ripple, managing a messload of pots at one time, etc.

Big shout out to tcpoint for all of his help with parts and questions. To others as well for my usual abundance of questions.

Build materials: Xicon 1% MFR, Mainly 5% WIMA caps with a few 5%TDK/Epcos scattered in and a lone 5% Kemet. Nichicon Fine Gold electros in the signal path and other Nichicon in the power supply. TDK 5% (C0G) MLCC's. Gold plated pin/socket IC sockets. Mainly TI IC's. Mostly Alpha pots and  Bourns trims. Kobiconn power jack an switchcraft g enclosed guitar jacks.

What's missing": The name plate. I will have to find or make one.

Next up: Either the Uber tuber or Rabbit Hole, I haven't decided yet.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

cooder

Very tidy, well done!
How do you like the sounds in it?
BigNoise Amplification

Ekimneets

Cooder,

Thanks man, I work  very hard at the tidy part.

I like it a lot. I have not even begun to explore all it can do, but I have already gotten a lot of big sounds out of it and this thing is the most powerful OD ever.

I'm going to have fun exploring this one.

Thx again.

-Mike

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ekimneets

Thx Alanp. It was far and away my biggest build and I learned a lot.

Thx for your help.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the uber Tuber and the rabbit Hole. I still think I'm more intimidated by the 1590a build because there is not much room for error.

Maybe, I'll do that next. Large to small.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

mjg

Very nice work.  You should enter it into the build of the year contest.  The more entries, the merrier.  :)

Ekimneets

Wow, thx. That's very flattering. Sure, can't hurt, but some of these guys are just soo good.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

chongmagic

I'm working on one of these right now. I have a long road ahead of me. Great job, looks great.

How did you get the lettering on the enclosure? Silk screen?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ekimneets

Hey Chongmagic, that's what it looks like to me. I got mine in a trade with another member here at MBP.

You might contact Kevin at Aion, as he was considering another run of these.  That's where this came from originally,

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

chongmagic

Will do thanks Mike.

I know Alchemy Audio worked with Aion on making a run of these too.

tcpoint

Nice build.  Bet it sounds as good as it looks.

gordo

Nice part about boxing one of these lovelies up is that once you have it up and running you almost feel like you could make a dead chicken get up and run.

It, and the DC chorus that Aion has are both mind bending builds.  Looks really nice!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ekimneets

Thx TC, the more I listen the more I like, thx again for all your help with it.

Gordo, I've got the chorus and frankly I'm afraid of it. I'll get to it eventually though.

Now, I have to figure out what parts I'm missing for the uber tuber and rabbit hole and then decide on one of those two.

-Mike

chongmagic

The Uber Tuber is great I love mine.

Ekimneets

Cool Chong magic, I'm glad you like it. It really just depends on what I have the parts for at this point.

-Mike