Author Topic: For everyone who hates those helping hands things  (Read 495 times)

ahiddentableau

• Solder Ninja
  • J
    • View Profile
For everyone who hates those helping hands things
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
I saw this referenced in the most recent edition of TapeOp and thought it might interest some folks around here.  It's a different take on the whole "third hand"/"helping hands" deal using silicone.

http://www.thecheese.biz/

Looks pretty cool, particularly if you are doing much in the way of guitar/amp/studio tech work.

Leevibe

• Electron Doctor
  • Lee
    • View Profile
Re: For everyone who hates those helping hands things
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »
Thatís a great idea. I like it. Blue tak and PCB vise or hobby vise keeps me covered. I abandoned helping hands a long time ago. I always felt like they would hold stuff at every possible angle except the one I needed and the jaws arenít kind to insulation.

somnif

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »
the jaws arenít kind to insulation.

A bit of aquarium tubing slipped over the jaws helps with that particular problem.

pickdropper

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »
You can ditch helping hands and all sorts of things like this once you learn to hold wires with your feet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

• Electron Doctor
  • Hamilton ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
the jaws arenít kind to insulation.

A bit of aquarium tubing slipped over the jaws helps with that particular problem.

I used heat shrink on mine.

Also a big improvement was gluing a piece of dowel into the base of each jaw so it doesn't get crushed when the thumbnut get tightened to hold jaw/alligator clip. Replaced the wingnuts with brass thumbnuts(?).
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?