News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny tone control tips?

Started by lloyd17, October 20, 2011, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd17

So I built up a Mudbunny last week following the Triangle Muff specs with added mids control, no other mods. For the most part it sounds good [gain monster!!!] but my tone control might be acting funny. The sweet spot is very narrow and lies at around 3 o'clock. Is this normal and if not anybody have some tips on widening the usable range of the tone pot and maybe shifting the 'balanced' low/high point more toward noon? Thanks!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I have yet to build a muff to triangle specs, I've heard they have a bit more treble than a rams head. When I add the mids knob I adjust that side of the tone knob, I change R18 to something smaller, like 3.3k and C10 gets changed from 4nf to 22nf. The normal sweet spot is about 12 noon on most muffs, right between grindy treble and muffled bass. When you adjust the tone control components you can get much more useable sounds in the extreme areas.
This is a very helpful tool for calculating the frequency range you want the tone control to have.. http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals