News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shaving

Started by alanp, January 15, 2019, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

When I used to use the 3 blade swiveling whatever, the blades were so expensive I went way too long before replacing them. With a safety razor I change out the blade once a week no matter what. It costs me about a dime. The blades are stainless so no rust.

matmosphere

So if you're not willing to just grow a beard I can give a bit of insight into the whole brush/soup vs foam. They both work fine but if you are maintaining some facial hair, goatee mustache or whatever, it's much easier to see what you're doing with a brush and soap. The foam gets to thick to see through, but lathering with a brush never gets so thick you can't see what's going on.

I bought a Harry's razor a few years ago and have used it twice. It seemed to work well and the blades are certainly less, but no where near as cheap as a safety razor

alanp

I don't want to grow a beard as my skin has always been pretty bad... not as bad as it was when I was a teen, praise be, but I still wouldn't trust it under a beard.

Think I'll have to pick up a safety razor :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesmokingman

no help here, I don't care about a product's politics much and I'm rocking my KC Chiefs football season beard of good luck ... hoping to be sporting this into February
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Well, had a couple shaves with this new safety razor... only problem so far is working out my angle.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on January 24, 2019, 07:13:36 AM
Well, had a couple shaves with this new safety razor... only problem so far is working out my angle.

Nah, it's that you don't have a beard   :P

Muadzin

I use my late grandfather's old electric razor. It's not that good, and it leaves me with a kinda four o'clock shadow beard, but I reckon a certain nonchalance in that regard still does well. But most of all I'm just too lazy to do any wet shaving.

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on January 24, 2019, 07:13:36 AM

start with the handle perpendicular to your face and rock it in until you can feel that it's starting to cut. That's your angle. Generally speaking you're going to be using WAY less pressure than you're used to too. Kind of letting the weight of the tool do the work and not trying to get it all on the first pass. Getting good lather is also really key. It's fun though and once you get it you may be surprised how close a shave you can get and how little razor burn.

davent

The safety razor mantra is no pressure, no pressure, no pressure.... Super light grip, it's more an act of balancing it your hand than holding on.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

I embraced this and ripped my face (and head) to shreds.  I need to re-approach...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBRAddict

In this vein I pulled out my very crusty old German safety razor and found a 10+ year old unused blade. I'm sure I did it all wrong and the blade was crap, but it worked. Face was somewhat more irritated than normal. Blades are around $0.07US each so I will get some more.

I was never into the whole liturgical man-grooming thing where you use horsehair shaving brushes and special salves, tinctures and ointments. I just want a shave dammit.

alanp

Well, it's the first time I've ever used aftershave.

The biggest adjustment is allowing, to NOT get everything on one pass. Let yourself do a second or third pass to get the last little bits, with the lather from the brush.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on February 01, 2019, 01:46:59 AM

The biggest adjustment is allowing, to NOT get everything on one pass. Let yourself do a second or third pass to get the last little bits, with the lather from the brush.

You've taken your first step into a larger world

davent

Quote from: alanp on February 01, 2019, 01:46:59 AM

I'm lucky there, the whole scent thing i can do without entirely, soaps, creams, after shaves, colognes, the gamit, zero appeal, repugnant. Department stores always seem to funnel customers through the scent section of the store, i'd hold my breath until i was clear through, horrible customer abuse.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

This stuff doesn't really have much of a scent.

Weirdly, it only became noticeable to me when I was stacking boxes in the chiller at work (roughly 1C to 2C).
- Terry Pratchett
My website