News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You Don't Mess With NZ

Started by ahiddentableau, January 19, 2019, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahiddentableau

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/01/new-zealand-tourists-john-johnson-tina-cash-arrest.html

I saw this yesterday and thought it was both a good laugh and strangely heartwarming.  The gist is a group of uncooth Brits on vacation to NZ behaved badly and the entire country basically turned against them.  My favourite part is when the locals try to voice their displeasure but can't quite bring themselves to say anything truly venomous, although the statement by the father is classic ("I've been looking at the Hobbits my whole life, since I'm born, that was originally what our plans was, but it's all been f–ked up now." ), and the horrible little boy ("I'll knock your brains out!") is great too.

cooder

Oh well this soap opera drama has been filling the summer hole of our news agencies...
Not quite sure if we are just lucky that there's either not more real drama to report or that this might be just a superficial and populist deflection from real issues.

After having a laugh about it I think it's time to move on and get on with having a life.
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

movinginslomo

Wow and I thought my Maine coastal community had obnoxious tourists

cooder

Quote from: movinginslomo on January 20, 2019, 12:33:49 PM
Wow and I thought my Maine coastal community had obnoxious tourists
Just wait for it, maybe Maine will be their next stop on their world tour...

Of course you unfortunately see obnoxious behaviour and stuff everywhere from all sorts of folks, tourists or not.
In some place like Bali or Mallorca I think it's probably a way too regular occurance and almost part of the daily routine for some I'm afraid.
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Chances are there's a TV series in the works that they'll star in.

And thank gawd it wasn't a bunch of American's.  We get a bad enough rep as is...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Quote from: gordo on January 20, 2019, 05:37:27 PM
And thank gawd it wasn't a bunch of American's.  We get a bad enough rep as is...
Thought exactly the same thing.  Was reading about this family with dread, nearly certain they were American and they were ruining whatever positive reputation we might have had left.   :o
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Quote from: gordo on January 20, 2019, 05:37:27 PM

At one point, the Daily Mail were running daily articles about new bands of travelling folk in England wreaking havoc.

The American Tourist Stereotype is pretty much just the Victorian Englishman stereotype with a new accent. Loud, complete self-assurance, and an unshakable belief that everyone in the world can understand you if you SPEAK... SLOWLY... IN... ENGLISH... SAVVY?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

"We're here to see the Hobbits," he said. "I've been looking at the Hobbits my whole life, since I'm born, that was originally what our plans was, but it's all been f–ked up now."

Seems legit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

What the hell, this is uncalled for!!?  Isnt it our job (aus/nz) to make complete asses of ourselves and behave like unwanted guests in the UK!??

(Well, at least thats what you hear)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

cooder

Quote from: chromesphere on January 21, 2019, 08:40:34 PM
What the hell, this is uncalled for!!?  Isnt it our job (aus/nz) to make complete asses of ourselves and behave like unwanted guests in the UK!??

Yeah nah, that's just you Aussies...  ;)

BigNoise Amplification

chromesphere

Quote from: cooder on January 21, 2019, 08:59:13 PM
Quote from: chromesphere on January 21, 2019, 08:40:34 PM

Yeah nah, that's just you Aussies...  ;)

It's all those kiwi jokes that have made guys resentfull isnt it?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Bret608

Ah, us American tourists! When my family and I went to Australia this past June, people in Queensland kept guessing that we were Canadian and/or expressing surprise that we're from the States. A friendly local in Townsville shed some light, mentioning that we were the nicest Americans he had met. It also seemed like visitors from the U.S were comparatively rare in those parts other than Cairns, so maybe a few bad apples really stood out in peoples' minds. I'd say Bali is where I witnessed the most bad American and European tourist behavior.

Between Australia and New Zealand, I'd say people were equally friendly when we visited. On the West Coast of NZ's South Island, people may have been a bit crankier, but with that amount of rain I can hardly blame 'em. And yes Stephan, we totally want your PM to come over here and take over!

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on January 22, 2019, 08:52:56 AM
Ah, us American tourists! When my family and I went to Australia this past June, people in Queensland kept guessing that we were Canadian and/or expressing surprise that we're from the States. A friendly local in Townsville shed some light, mentioning that we were the nicest Americans he had met. It also seemed like visitors from the U.S were comparatively rare in those parts other than Cairns, so maybe a few bad apples really stood out in peoples' minds. I'd say Bali is where I witnessed the most bad American and European tourist behavior.

Between Australia and New Zealand, I'd say people were equally friendly when we visited. On the West Coast of NZ's South Island, people may have been a bit crankier, but with that amount of rain I can hardly blame 'em. And yes Stephan, we totally want your PM to come over here and take over!
Yeah I guess the friendly cheeky rivalry between US and Canada is somewhat similar to OZ/NZ shenanigans ....

And well, you have 65 times the population of NZ and loads of good people to choose from...
Remind, whom did you pick...? ( I actually don't want to start politics here... just taking the mickey...)
BigNoise Amplification