News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You Don't Mess With NZ

Started by ahiddentableau, January 19, 2019, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Well, they pinched Fred Dagg, for a start! ;) :) ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Quote from: alanp on January 22, 2019, 05:44:06 PM
Well, they pinched Fred Dagg, for a start! ;) :) ;)

... and let's not forget the 'underarm incident'.... (not that I give a toss about cricket or understand it... but still!).
And Pavlova! Without a doubt: ours!
BigNoise Amplification

ahiddentableau

Quote from: cooder on January 22, 2019, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: Bret608 on January 22, 2019, 08:52:56 AM
Ah, us American tourists! When my family and I went to Australia this past June, people in Queensland kept guessing that we were Canadian and/or expressing surprise that we're from the States. A friendly local in Townsville shed some light, mentioning that we were the nicest Americans he had met. It also seemed like visitors from the U.S were comparatively rare in those parts other than Cairns, so maybe a few bad apples really stood out in peoples' minds. I'd say Bali is where I witnessed the most bad American and European tourist behavior.

Between Australia and New Zealand, I'd say people were equally friendly when we visited. On the West Coast of NZ's South Island, people may have been a bit crankier, but with that amount of rain I can hardly blame 'em. And yes Stephan, we totally want your PM to come over here and take over!
Yeah I guess the friendly cheeky rivalry between US and Canada is somewhat similar to OZ/NZ shenanigans ....

That comparison was at the front of my mind when I read this.  Something along the lines of, "Hey, Kiwis are like Canadians!"  The extreme (excessive?) politeness of the responses also hits that stereotype pretty hard.  At the same time, I also thought there was something really beautiful about it.  Maybe obsessing over it for the better part of two weeks is a bit much and I'm guessing that Kiwis have a bit of identity-based complex about Australia that can go over the line from time to time (god knows Canadians can take the American thing too far--and it also works less because I don't think Aussies actually have a reputation for rudeness/self-absorption), but IMO not letting the bastards drag you down into the muck with them is entirely praiseworthy.  Usually when stuff like this happens the people calling out the bad behavior end up coming off just as badly as the people they're criticizing.  Looks like that didn't happen here, and that's pretty cool.

Now bring on video clips of The Clean!

alanp

Probably one of the most iconic Kiwiana songs out there.

And yeah, NZ really is a slice of heaven.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

Speaking for the UK: Do not underestimate the unfortunate proportion of absolute scum here that are both allowed to breed and are given passports. Though I suspect the latter is in the hope that they bugger off and forget to come back*

*where forget to come back = get locked up in a Thai jail.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk