News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NVGD

Started by diablochris6, January 21, 2019, 09:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Last year, I started a new job, and the teacher I work with found out I played guitar. She said that she has her grandpa's guitar, and that it was Gibson...and it's been in her attic for years. If you don't know how Kentucky weather works, we have hot and super humid summers and below freezing winters. My heart crumbled, and I gave her crap for that. Eventually, she moved the guitar into the garage, which is kind of better. This past December, she brought it to school so I could see it, and she let me hold onto it for a while since she knew I would take care of it, and nobody in her house plays.

As far as I can tell, it's a 1952 Gibson ES-125, a student arch top. My coworker had it refretted before storing it, and the neck is surprisingly straight despite where it was stored. The binding is shrinking, the finish is checking beautifully, the pots and jack are a little dodgy, and the bridge has grooves from string pressure cutting into it. Playing it is a joy both unplugged and through an amp. Boxy without being too muddy. I might try to lower the action a tad and fix the issues mentioned above, but a great player!

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

TGP39

Wow Chris.   That is art and history class combined.  Such a beautiful instrument. 
Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

jimilee

That's beautiful Chris. It has aged very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

That is sweeeet man!  8) Great that she found her way into your hands!
Enjoy!
BigNoise Amplification

matmosphere

Very nice! Going to have to brush up on your jazz chops.

madbean

I'd murder a kitten to own that. Congratulations!

(also, I wouldn't actually do murder...maybe aggressive petting).

cooder

Quote from: madbean on January 21, 2019, 03:52:52 PM
...maybe aggressive petting).
Next time in a music shop I'll try to snatch a bargain like that.
See that poor cute kitten? I will merciless pet it until you hand me over a vintage guitar or two.

Will let you know how that goes.
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

What a beautiful instrument, very cool!