News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD!! Danelectro Hodad

Started by matmosphere, January 30, 2019, 06:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Scored this a few days ago on craigslist for $180. I'm not a sparkle finish kinda guy but it's growing on me.

These are from the late 90's. I had a white one before and loved it but had to sell it to finance my move to DC with my wife (then GF). I sold 5 guitars when we moved and this is the only one that I've missed and even considered buying again.

It was dirty, in dire need of a setup, and had a minor issue with the output jack.  I used some Music Nomad cleaner and and some of their fretboard conditioner and man did they do a good job. Nothing I've used before was anywhere near as nice. Now that it's cleaned and set up it looks almost brand new, and plays great.

I really like the early Danelectro reissues, I think they are great guitars. I had 3 or 4 different ones back in the nineties, and have this and a DC59 now. I can't say enough good things about them. Can't speak to their newer stuff but if you ever get a chance to buy a Made In Korea Danelectro (late 90's, you can tell because they used an angled headstock) pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

cooder

That's a pretty spiffin cool score... Congrats!
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

Rad. That has a real Mosrite vibe. Beautiful guitar.

jjjimi84

Double lipstick pickups?!?! What do those bad boys sound like?

matmosphere

They sound great, not really mosrite like, but very twangy surf vibe. Handles dirt pretty well. The tone knobs push/pull for coil tap and out of phase, so it's got plenty of different tones.

jjjimi84

Wow iwould have never thought it would have had so much in it. It looks super thin and just awesome. Great find!

peAk