News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Island recommendations?

Started by jubal81, January 30, 2019, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Been a gloomy couple of months. Work drama and my extreme old age finally caught up with my dog, Sizzles.

Good news is the wife and I are leaving for a week on the Big Island of Hawaii next weekend. Reservations for Huggo's for a sunset dinner, volcanoes park, stargazing at the observatory and whale-watching cruise on the list so far. Wondering if anyone has other suggestions or tips.
My brain is already on vacation for sure. Gonna be a long week...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

matmosphere

Take it easy and relax. I've heard if you get by the black cooled lava you can get dehydrated very quickly, so make sure to drink plenty of water

cooder

Good to take a break, sorry to hear about gloom and your dog, they grow very close to our heart strings.
I don't have any ideas or tips for Big Island, just wishing you all the best and a fab time!
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

You're stranded on an island. You only get 1 guitar, 1 amp, 1 pedal. OK, 3 pedals. What do you choose???

Tele>18W>drive>tremolo>delay

Seriously, have a good time. Let me know what the sun feels like.

somnif

Me, personally, I'd see if any of the coffee plantations did public tours. But I am basically a fleshy robot that is fueled by several liters of coffee a day, so normal humans may find other activities more fun.

Botanical gardens are great (Hawaii has some friggen weird botany going on). Probably some awesome tide pools. Could go up the volcano and check out the national park (assuming the government is functioning when you visit).

And food. Lots and lots of great (if expensive) food.

matmosphere

Quote from: Leevibe on January 30, 2019, 11:45:09 PM
You're stranded on an island. You only get 1 guitar, 1 amp, 1 pedal. OK, 3 pedals. What do you choose???

Martin acoustic. Presumably the island has no electricity.

Leevibe

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 31, 2019, 01:37:39 AM

Haven't you ever watched Giligan's Island? You can power anything off of coconuts and stuff like that.

reddesert

The landscape on the Big Island changes wildly from one part to another, so make sure to spend time in different areas. Anywhere you go, stop to enjoy the vegetation, birds, etc. Find little beaches at the end of roads and hang out.

The Kohala coast in the northern tip is relatively little visited (compared to the rest of the island anyway) and really scenic.

The Waipi'o valley overlook in the northeast is famous for good reason.  Maybe a bit too famous, but worth the trip. If you're up for a short but fairly strenuous hike, you can walk down the road (super steep but not super long) and then out a muddy road/path to a black sand beach in an incredible setting. I do not recommend trying to drive the road or the path. If you aren't up for walking it, just enjoy the view.

Volcanoes NP has many different cool things. You used to be able to walk close to a big crater in the Kilauea caldera, but I think that is closed due to eruptions. I did not have a chance to do the walk through the (extinct!) lava tube, bet that is cool. Depending on the state of the lava flow, you may be able to drive to the end of the Chain of Craters road where it has been cut by lava flow. If the lava is flowing slowly and not into the ocean (steam explosions!), as of a few years ago you could walk inland to where the lava is flowing and practically up to it. I would describe fresh, slow flowing lava as "so hot even teenage boys don't do stupid things around it." The NPS put little markers on the old cooled lava to show you where to walk. The walk can be very hot during the day. We bought cheapo flashlights, took water bottles, and walked it in late afternoon so we saw glowing lava at dusk, then walked back in the dark. Incredible.

Before you go I recommend reading a little bit about the history of Hawaii, and how it came to be part of the US. Many guidebooks have some history info, and here are some good wiki articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamehameha_I
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii
It's not a pretty story. It's good to understand a little bit about native Hawaiian culture and where they are coming from to appreciate many of the historic sites around the island and the issues that linger today.

Muadzin

Three things? My red strat build, AX-8 or Helix and a headphone

matmosphere

Quote from: Leevibe on January 31, 2019, 02:08:15 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on January 31, 2019, 01:37:39 AM

Haven't you ever watched Giligan's Island? You can power anything off of coconuts and stuff like that.

Hahaha, I was assuming the professor wasn't stranded with me as well.

alanp

Quote from: reddesert on January 31, 2019, 07:27:21 AM
I would describe fresh, slow flowing lava as "so hot even teenage boys don't do stupid things around it."

I'm lovin' that turn of phrase, dude :)

A guy I know visited Hawai'i, picked up a uke there, and is still having fun with it. Ukeleles always make me think of Iz playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

If you are headed over to Oahu you could always look up Aron for a meet-n-greet

Bret608

Let me second that recommendation about visiting coffee plantations...there are some great ones just up in the foothills above Kona. Volcanoes NP is a can't-miss as others have mentioned. For food, I would try to visit Roy's (an Asian fusion-type restaurant) at Waikoloa Village if you're able. It was closed when we drove up there, but Merriman's was really good too.

midwayfair

These were my three favorite things:

Mauna Kea base camp has stargazing (with nice telescopes). Go before sunset and take a jacket.

Hiking in Volcanoes National Park. There are some short (several-mile) trails that will take you through a very wide range of terrain.

Horseback riding in Waipo Valley through Na'alapa Stables.

Things I regret not doing: Jumping off south point. I chickened out.

jubal81

Flying out of Seattle tomorrow - fingers crossed the plane takes off before the snowstorm hits hard.
Thanks for the tips, guys. Volcanoes park, Coffee plantation/museum and Waipio on the list.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair