News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EMS synthi Hi-Fli repair

Started by bsoncini, February 03, 2019, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Re-stating here for posterity....

Please put me down for a set. I would pull a ticket at the counter if I could  8)  ;D

peAk

Any ballpark of a price yet? And what will be included?

digi2t

deleted

gabrielnbr

Quote from: digi2t on April 29, 2019, 03:43:42 AM
Quote from: PMowdes2 on April 28, 2019, 11:50:35 PM

All parts of the LM13700's are used.  The original unit used 3080's

The only place we used a 3080 was where we had a stray single and I didn't want redundant pins by using a 13700.

The preamp is in the pedal on the original, we wanted to keep it as close to original spec as we could, also there isn't much spare room on either of the large pcbs so it made sense.

As Phil stated, it was a question of not wasting. Not wasting pins, or space. We're maxed out here on the Hammond "small" enclosure scale. As for the preamp, again, we're respecting the original form, and what the previous sentence points out.

9 years! Wow! Holy moly... I would never have waited for that long. Screw that. :o

Fully understood the choices!

About the waiting time, well I was in the beginning of a project to build one, but as you know there is very little information and the repair manual available could not be fully read.

I had redone almost half of the service manual pages from scratch, maybe you had interest in using that on the building documentation (specially the settings part) let me know and I can rush to finish that for you.

digi2t

deleted

skyled

What's your opinion on this vs. the Ludwig Phase 2? Not based on how rare/valuable/cool, just based on sounds. If you could only have one, again just based on sounds, which would it be?

Also, anybody know where to find cheap wah enclosures?

somnif

Quote from: skyled on April 29, 2019, 02:22:53 PM

Define "cheap". 23$ for an empty shell kit at Smallbear. If you trawl Reverb or Ebay you may be able to find "for parts" wah pedals for a wee bit cheaper than that, or about that same ballpark.

Probably unlikely to find something much less than 20$ though, unless you hit the Goodwill/thrift store jackpot.

gabrielnbr

Quote from: digi2t on April 18, 2019, 07:34:05 AM
Diode boards are on their way.  :)

Thanks to Phil for his monk-like work.

Hello,

got some diodes to test today! The ones on this board are SOD-323-2 or SOD-123-2? Both SOD-80 (mini Melf) and SOD-123 have manageable size for hand soldering even without a hot air station, just need some solder paste and the superficial tension of the melted tin pull the part to the correct place.

Thanks
Gabriel

matmosphere

What's your opinion on this vs. the Ludwig Phase 2? Not based on how rare/valuable/cool, just based on sounds. If you could only have one, again just based on sounds, which would it be?

Just build both!

Seriously though, not having first hand experience with either, this one seems more useful from the demoes I've watched

PMowdes2

Quote from: gabrielnbr on May 06, 2019, 06:21:41 PM
Quote from: digi2t

link=topic=29282.msg286508#msg286508 date=1555598045

Diode boards are on their way.  :)

Thanks to Phil for his monk-like work.

Hello,

got some diodes to test today! The ones on this board are SOD-323-2 or SOD-123-2? Both SOD-80 (mini Melf) and SOD-123 have manageable size for hand soldering even without a hot air station, just need some solder paste and the superficial tension of the melted tin pull the part to the correct place.

Thanks
Gabriel

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying say.

I hand soldered these boards, it took a while but it is achievable.
DeadEndFX

skyled

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 06, 2019, 06:42:14 PM

Well, I have the Ludwig and I was wondering if they're both very different or more or less redundant, minus the phaser part. The Hi-Fly looks like it will be an expensive build ($100+).

Just build both!

Seriously though, not having first hand experience with either, this one seems more useful from the demoes I've watched

digi2t

deleted

skyled

Quote from: digi2t on May 09, 2019, 09:08:27 AM

Ahhhh..... the old "desert island" question.... ???

Well.... I don't live on a desert island, so I would build both. Building one over the other, solely based on sounds, is a bit nonsensical to me. It doesn't take into account the "ear fatigue" factor. Meaning, I'm all hyped on the Hi Fli now, but guess what, in a few days/weeks/months, I'll be bored with it, and I'll whip out the Phase II. I'll rediscover it like a long lost girlfriend. We'll have hot tonal sex for a while, and then I'll get bored again, discard her like yesterday's news, and hook up with a new tonal fling. Eventually, I'll come back to my Hi Fli mistress, and the cycle will begin again. ;)

Now you're just sounding like a used car salesman  ;D

So when can we see the vero layout?

digi2t

deleted

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: skyled on May 12, 2019, 01:04:22 PM
So when can we see the vero layout?

I found an enclosure for it!  8)