News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hakko T18-BR02 bent conical tip?

Started by Leevibe, February 14, 2019, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

The tip on my Hakko iron has lost a lot of plating and I'm having trouble getting joints to heat. I've been using a chisel tip but I miss using conical. The bent conical looks like it would be pretty nice. Anyone have any experience with it?

link: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-T18-BR02-Soldering-FX-8801-Conical/dp/B00762AGYU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hakko+tip&qid=1550174946&s=gateway&sr=8-6

peAk

Quote from: Leevibe on February 14, 2019, 12:13:36 PM
The tip on my Hakko iron has lost a lot of plating and I'm having trouble getting joints to heat. I've been using a chisel tip but I miss using conical. The bent conical looks like it would be pretty nice. Anyone have any experience with it?

link: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-T18-BR02-Soldering-FX-8801-Conical/dp/B00762AGYU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hakko+tip&qid=1550174946&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Interesting. I haven't seen that before.

I tried to go back to conical after using a chisel for a while and just couldn't do it. I had to go back to chisel.

pickdropper

I find bent conical useful, but not as an everyday tip.

Personally, I'm a big fan of having multiple tips and changing them as needed.  With my Metcal iron, I have 6 tip types in the rotation (even more if you count separate tips for RoHS solder).  For my Weller, I have about 4 tips in regular rotation, but I have a few more than that for occasional circumstances.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

Interesting. My first thought is I'd have to spin that thing around too much to get it positioned but maybe not. I guess I'd have to use it to know for sure.

I've tried both the conical and chisel and find I like the chisel for whatever reason. Maybe more heat transfer.

Lee, if you want my conical I'll send it to you. I don't plan to use it. It really doesn't have much use on it either.
John

Leevibe

Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 15, 2019, 12:10:05 PM
Interesting. My first thought is I'd have to spin that thing around too much to get it positioned but maybe not. I guess I'd have to use it to know for sure.

I've tried both the conical and chisel and find I like the chisel for whatever reason. Maybe more heat transfer.

Lee, if you want my conical I'll send it to you. I don't plan to use it. It really doesn't have much use on it either.

Yeah. I had that same thought. I could be fighting it to get the angle I want.

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that. I'll PM you if I decide I want it. I'll have to see if I have something cool to trade you.