News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weekend Builds (VB-2 and 1590A Phaser Content)

Started by dan.schumaker, February 18, 2019, 05:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Got a new batch of boards in last week, so I got to soldering this weekend.  Pretty happy with how everything turned out.  In a batch of 5 boards, 4 worked awesome out of the gate, the last one I need to look at a little more.  I don't think going 4 out of 5 is all that bad!

Vaporizor - This is based on the BYOC analog vibrato pedal.  Doing some looking, I had the crazy idea to replace the unobtanium BA6110 chip with another OTA chip.  I was thinking this guy had no chance of actually working, but lo and behold, when I turned it on the first time, I got some awesome sounding sea-sick warble!  It can get pretty intense.  I think that the ramp function is pretty cool too, I can definitely see the uses for that function.  There is a soft touch relay board hiding under the main board on this one.
1911 Vaporizor by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Rock Bottom - This is a 1590A version of the Small Stone Phaser.  For all that is going on with it, it really isn't that crowded of a build (maybe I am just numb to packing a board for something like this).  This has the classic sweep of the original, just in a smaller form factor.  I also have added a soft-touch relay to this guy.
1909 Rock Bottom by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Muscle - This is a single-knob OD pedal with a boost switch.  This gives some nice sparkly/jangly distortion to start with, and switching the boost on really thickens the tone, making it pretty creamy and smooth.  This was the first 1590A that I have the relay bypass on-board, and it really makes wiring this guy up a snap.
1908 Muscle by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Reflux - I've shared this phaser a few times before.  Like the Muscle, this one also has the built-in relay bypass, making wiring super-simple.
1910 Reflux by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Woohoo.... I assume you didn't get much sleep on the weekend pumping out all that goodness squeezed into tiny boxes...?!?
Spiffin' stuff! The vaporizer is amazeballs too. Well done to pull that off with replacement chip.
BigNoise Amplification

323effects

Dude. Nice job cramming all that junk in there! You're really crankin em out. Also, I love the relay bypass - just gives every build that extra level of professionalism.  Well done sir!

somnif

So, what VCA did you end up using place of the Roland goofychip?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: somnif on February 18, 2019, 12:34:17 PM
So, what VCA did you end up using place of the Roland goofychip?

Its a secret  ;)  (but if you really want to know, you can use the same chip to replace a CA3080 in a Dynacomp.  And I used the same one in the phaser  ;D)