News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ludwig Phase II

Started by DLW, February 24, 2019, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLW

Recently completed a Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer. PCB from Dead End FX https://www.deadendfx.com/product/ludwig-phase-ii

The build guide for this project is superb. The pedal fired up on the first try and the tuning was easily accomplished by following the instructions in the guide. The biggest challenge (and it was a big challenge) was the off board wiring. There are a lot of wires that run between the board, switches, and jacks. Since one board mounts to the enclosure and the other mounts to the back plate, I used mostly stranded wire for its flexibility. I'm more accustomed to solid core wire, so the strands fought me getting them through the PCB holes. Also, there are several points that require 2 (and sometimes 3) wires in 1 hole. To make this easier, I soldered a short 16ga wire in the hole and used it as a standoff to solder multiple wires.

The original unit is a monstrous cabinet with an expression pedal that folds out. Adding a expression pedal to this clone is doable, but it's not something I really wanted. Instead, I added a 10kB pot to the side and put on a large knob that I can toggle with the side of my foot. It works reasonably well for me. I'm not a performing musician. I just make weird noises in my room.

The art was intended to capture some of the original design elements- mainly the icon and the burled wood finish.

Here are the box and gut shots...

mjg

That looks awesome.  Looks like there was a lot of work inside, regardless of the off board wiring. 

Betty Wont

Sweet! How do you like it? I'm close to attempting this myself.

DLW

It's a fun build. I'm a big fan of the esoteric, so this pedal is right up my alley.

PMowdes2

Quote from: DLW on February 24, 2019, 03:52:10 PM
Recently completed a Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer. PCB from Dead End FX https://www.deadendfx.com/product/ludwig-phase-ii

The build guide for this project is superb. The pedal fired up on the first try and the tuning was easily accomplished by following the instructions in the guide. The biggest challenge (and it was a big challenge) was the off board wiring. There are a lot of wires that run between the board, switches, and jacks. Since one board mounts to the enclosure and the other mounts to the back plate, I used mostly stranded wire for its flexibility. I'm more accustomed to solid core wire, so the strands fought me getting them through the PCB holes. Also, there are several points that require 2 (and sometimes 3) wires in 1 hole. To make this easier, I soldered a short 16ga wire in the hole and used it as a standoff to solder multiple wires.

The original unit is a monstrous cabinet with an expression pedal that folds out. Adding a expression pedal to this clone is doable, but it's not something I really wanted. Instead, I added a 10kB pot to the side and put on a large knob that I can toggle with the side of my foot. It works reasonably well for me. I'm not a performing musician. I just make weird noises in my room.

The art was intended to capture some of the original design elements- mainly the icon and the burled wood finish.

Here are the box and gut shots...

Great job, do you mind if I borrow your photo's for our Instagram feed??
DeadEndFX

DLW

Yahoo67

Nice ! Gonna have to give it a try in the future. This project looks fun to do !

PMowdes2

DeadEndFX

Leevibe

Nice job! Good work getting the off-board looking tidy and that is a cool etch. As far as stranded wire goes, taking the time to twist and tin the ends is worth it. There's also prebonded wire which is stranded but pre-tinned. It's very nice to work with.

Anyway, as I said, good job!

cooder

Epic! Top build and what a mission!
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

That's pretty epic man, well done 8)

Govmnt_Lacky

Did you build the external expression pedal to go with it?

Awesome build BTW. I have built a few and know how daunting it can be. Looks GREAT!!

DLW

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 01, 2019, 11:40:50 AM
Did you build the external expression pedal to go with it?

Awesome build BTW. I have built a few and know how daunting it can be. Looks GREAT!!

I added a pot on the side that I can toggle with my foot. I didn't have a donor expression pedal, and it wouldn't fit on my board without having to completely rearrange everything each time I wanted to use the pedal. The pot works ok, not great. It's sturdy enough (used a knurled shaft and drilled the small hole for the anti-rotation tab). Maybe with the right knob it would easier to use.

P.S. thanks for the kind words, everyone :)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: DLW on March 02, 2019, 05:35:32 AM
I added a pot on the side that I can toggle with my foot.

Yep. I guess I should have read that part in the initial post huh?  ::)

Timko

Sweet build.  You posted this just in time for me to see DeadEndFX release a Mutron BiPhase board, which I may have just ordered :).