Main Menu

Pork Barrel - Chorus disappears when rate LED is connected

Started by benny_profane, February 25, 2019, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2019, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on February 26, 2019, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2019, 04:12:17 PM
That's quite a surprise. I've used the 1k/LED setup on tons of different LFOs and it's never posed a problem. The only one I can think of off-hand was with a Univibe where the LED did result in a different depth response, but that's a completely different type of LFO.

Can't say why it's happening for you but I had a hunch. Don't know if the LED is acting as a current sink or somehow screwing with the depth overall.

I'm running at 12v off the 3PRR board. Could the extra voltage (re zgrav's comment) be the issue?

Yup, that's it. In fact I ran into a very similar issues when I was working on modulation for my AD-900 project. When I powered the LFO board @ 12v the entire depth shallowed out. I changed the voltage divider supply to the LFO from two 220k to 470k and that fixed the issue. Anyway, the PB LFO runs fine @ 12v, but something about the combination of the LED flattens it. So, I guess the solutions is more resistance in front of the LED.

Yeah, I'm surprised/happy/a little frustrated it was something so simple. I had been running it unboxed for awhile since it's a great effect and I had some issues with the enclosure finally getting sorted out. I dissembled and rechecked everything when it cut out after boxing it—it was quite a surprise. Luckily no terrible damage has been done.

zgrav

Always a relief to isolate the issue and get it working!

benny_profane