News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4-Knob Fuzz Face

Started by pickdropper, March 16, 2019, 02:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I think I posted a built like this a number of years ago, but this is a bit different so I'll post again.  I slightly tweaked the board so I can use ribbon cable for the footswitch I/O wires.

I used a gold enclosure and backfilled the text.  It's a PITA, but the combination is usually one of the better color looks.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

I really love that laser etch ink fill technique. It looks superb on this. Guts are perfect right down to the fillets on the 3PDT board. Everything about this looks perfect.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Immaculate as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

diablochris6

Oooh, so nice! Great job, as usual.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

matmosphere

Dang, those guts, sooooo good.

jjjimi84

Just beautiful, nice work

peAk

TGP39

So professional.  I thought you burned the bias trim, but quickly realized you're just marking where the bias trim should be set.   You are definitely one of my favorite builders.  Steve. 
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

JackSkellington

I'm figuring the schematic, nothing new, I supposed.
The transistors should be the modern germanium, right?
A classic Fuzz Face with a charge pump; a Body control, maybe the Mid control like in the Fulltone 70? Voltage is the Bias, I guess.
I'd like to build something like that, but I didn't think about the charge pump, is it worth?
I wont't find proper hfe of AC128, probably. What about AC126, or AC125 (of this I'd have a larger range of hfe)?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

somnif

Quote from: JackSkellington on March 18, 2019, 01:13:11 AM
A classic Fuzz Face with a charge pump; a Body control, maybe the Mid control like in the Fulltone 70? Voltage is the Bias, I guess.
I'd like to build something like that, but I didn't think about the charge pump, is it worth?
I wont't find proper hfe of AC128, probably. What about AC126, or AC125 (of this I'd have a larger range of hfe)?

The charge pump is there as an inverter. The Fuzz Face was from an era where transistor technology meant it was easier to design with a Positive Ground in mind. Makes using one with a modern power supply a pain in the ass, so adding little extra circuitry to get around the headache is worth the "mojo" cost.

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on March 18, 2019, 01:58:16 AM

The charge pump is there as an inverter. The Fuzz Face was from an era where transistor technology meant it was easier to design with a Positive Ground in mind. Makes using one with a modern power supply a pain in the ass, so adding little extra circuitry to get around the headache is worth the "mojo" cost.

Yep, exactly this.

And the voltage control is a voltage reduction not a bias control.  It allows you to run the circuit at a lower voltgae, as if the battery is sagging.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JackSkellington

Quote from: somnif on March 18, 2019, 01:58:16 AM

Ok! ;) So it can works at 9v with a standard PSU, but it has positive ground, if I understand. Cool!

Quote from: pickdropper on March 18, 2019, 04:53:02 AM
And the voltage control is a voltage reduction not a bias control.  It allows you to run the circuit at a lower voltgae, as if the battery is sagging.

Yes, it was that I meant, I just told wrongly! ;D Bias and Voltage controls are two different kind of mod.

Thanks! ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

somnif

Quote from: JackSkellington on March 19, 2019, 01:15:16 AM
Ok! ;) So it can works at 9v with a standard PSU, but it has positive ground, if I understand. Cool!

With the charge pump inverter, the thing has a normal negative ground (so you can use a normal power supply, daisy-chain it with other effects, all that fun stuff). The power portion of the circuit just "wraps around" the classic FF circuit. So the FF "sees" -9V, but you power it with a normal +9V power adapter.