News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LT1054 and wires

Started by giock, March 17, 2019, 11:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giock

Hi everyone, my first post to greet you and have a couple of clarifications.
Part one, presentation:
I am a singer and bass player, I am quite an expert on electricity (I am an auto electromechanical) but I am absolutely noob to electronics: pcb, cap, res, trick track etc ...
I decided that my first quest in this DIY world will be an optical compressor: Zirconia (for bass)
so...
Part two, clarifications:
what kind of wire do you recommend using in connections? AWG22? 24?
In zirconia for bass it's recommended to use the pss3 so my vactrol will be the LT1054 but there are 4 versions !!!
the LT1054IP
LT1054CP
LT1054CPE4
LT1054IPE4
Which one should I take ???
Thank you
canta basso, suona il basso, vola alto

Willybomb

I like stranded AWG24 personally, and just so you know, the LT1054 is a charge pump, not a vactrol.

madbean

Suffixes on ICs are usually an indication of small differences in spec or even how they are packaged. You generally do not have to concern yourself with them too much so long as you make sure to order through-hole parts and not surface mount. The CP or IP is fine - whichever is cheaper.

somnif

Quote from: giock on March 17, 2019, 11:29:41 AM
I decided that my first quest in this DIY world will be an optical compressor: Zirconia (for bass)
so...
Part two, clarifications:
what kind of wire do you recommend using in connections? AWG22? 24?
In zirconia for bass it's recommended to use the pss3 so my vactrol will be the LT1054 but there are 4 versions !!!
the LT1054IP
LT1054CP
LT1054CPE4
LT1054IPE4
Which one should I take ???
Thank you

Maybe I'm half asleep but what do you mean by "pss3"?

The LT1054 is a charge pump used on a secondary board to turn the 9V from your power jack into 18V for the circuit to use. Those little secondary boards are here on Madbean, either the "Road Rage" (which is just the charge booster), or the "3PRR" (which is the charge booster on the same board as the stomp switch).

The Vactrol is a single unit combining an LED and light-sensitive resistor. The zirconia uses the VTL5C3 by default I think.

giock

Thnks you guys, as i tell you i'm really noob...
I understand that i'm going yo make a mistake, i read again the zirconia instruction... my english is not so good and technicals made translation hader. They suggest to use the LT1054 as IC1 in the 3PRR (the once i called pss3 ;D) because of the power consumption of the VTL5C3,
at the first reading I understood to exchange them but thanks to your considerations I understood that they are not the same components ;)
Ok, so... AWG24 and LT1054 8 pin through-hole the cheaper ;)
canta basso, suona il basso, vola alto