News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Good Distortion in 1590A box

Started by JackSkellington, March 24, 2019, 09:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I know a mate who liked high gain.

The Rat was the only pedal I made where he was happy for the gain knob to sit halfway.

I'll recommend the Madbean LaVache. It's what inspired me to get into pedalbuilding, and it's a damn nice sounding circuit.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

JackSkellington

Ok, thanks, the Madbean LaVache is nice, but pretty far from what I'm searching.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

ahiddentableau

If the Distortion+ has enough gain for you, then that's the ticket.  It's a good sounding circuit and it's really easy to mod because of its simplicity and the fact that there's so much great info out there already.

287m

hao rust driver

try it on breadboard first, never hurt
i can draw onboard perfboard layout for younifnyou want

JackSkellington

Yes, I can add the Hao Rust Drive. I knew it, but now I heard it a bit better some demo. I think I'll not include the switch. I prefer it with a gain control (or pre-Gain?) :P
I found this protoboard layout:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2015/03/hao-rust-driver.html
The smallest side is 12 holes I can't check it now, but it should fit into a 1590A box.

Here's the veroboard layout, narrower but even longer:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2011/04/hao-rust-driver.html

I prefer work on stripboard, it's easier, but this boards are a bit bigger than I want, but maybe not impossibile to put it into a 1590A box.
287m, can you make a smaller layout?
Anyway, the one from Effectslayouts is already verified.

PS I noticed that TagBoard and Effectslayouts are differents. ???

287m

ah im sorry, 0400 here :P didnt read about strip/vero
attached quick perf layout, didnt bring my thinkpad. For value, you can compare with David blog and Juansolo rusty sheriff.

imo, you still need that switch if you set too high, 1n and 4n7, not 47n

for strip/vero, see tagboard update layout

JackSkellington

Hey! Where's the value? I'm kidding! :D I appreciated so much. ;)
I'll try to convert your draw in a protoboard layout, I'll post here later. The circuit is simple, but the layout will be unverified until someone build it. I use to be very cautious about this stuff.

Indeed, the 47nF was really high, I noticed that.
Thanks for let me know about the Juansolo version. ;)

Anyway, I guess there's two version, or at least three Hao Rust Driver pedal. A red one, without the toggle switch, probably the early version. Then two green versions, probably the same thing with a different position of the toggle switch: one on the side and a the newer with the toggle witch on top next to the knob.
Tagboard has, indeed, both the version.
The difference are in some values of caps and resistors, and one cap added. The update version on TagBoard, like of the Effectslayout version, has two electrolytic cap in the power section. Effectslayout version includes even the pulldown resistor and the polarity protection diode.

thomasha

I have to agree with the RAT, it is awesome for high gain...

The crunch box was also one of my favorites when I started.

JackSkellington

At the beginning I was considering the Rat, but the board it's a bit too large.
Also the Crunch Box has the board pretty big for a 1590A (I always mean using veroboard layout). Further, I would like to build the Crunch Box or something like that in another box, probably I'll try the JHS AT.

This is my updated list:

1. Smash Driver
Pro: Small layout; A lot of gain.
Cons: LM386 (but it could be ok).
2. MXR Distortion +
Pro: Barely enough gain, but it's ok.
Cons: Big layout.
3. HAO Rust Driver
Pro: It's nice.
Cons: Big layout, a protoboard is better; Not so gainy without mods.

Smash Drive is the one with more gain. Distortion+ sounds good, but the board is bigger. The same thing about HAO Rust Driver, it sounds good, maybe not so gainy how I would like, I have to see how work some mods. I should include the Drive pot, but that is not a problem.
The Rust Driver is in the last position just because I would like to build in another project, in a bigger box, maybe with some mods.

thomasha

There is a Rat layout with 10x12 using vero. How small do you want the layout to be?
The size of the components is IMHO more important than the size of the board. Large caps are a no go.

Since all these schematics are based on opamps it would be easy to make some changes and achieve over the top gain from them. Not sure if it would sound good without some filtering...

JackSkellington

A Rat layout with 10x12 using vero? :o Really? I never seen it! Can you link it or post it, please? :D

Yes, I am considering the size of the components, too. But I can change the components in case of lacking room. Using shorter electrolytic caps, for example. Or I could solder the IC without the socket IC (I never do it).
While the size of the board have to be necessarily small enough. And I don't want the board touch the jacks and the footswitch. This is my little afraid, now.

somnif

Quote from: JackSkellington on July 21, 2019, 11:25:29 PM
A Rat layout with 10x12 using vero? :o Really? I never seen it! Can you link it or post it, please? :D

Yes, I am considering the size of the components, too. But I can change the components in case of lacking room. Using shorter electrolytic caps, for example. Or I could solder the IC without the socket IC (I never do it).
While the size of the board have to be necessarily small enough. And I don't want the board touch the jacks and the footswitch. This is my little afraid, now.

EffectsLayout has a 13x15 perfboard layout for the rat that would probably fit a 1590a, if you used low profile electrolytics anyway.
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2014/12/proco-rat-1986-version.html

JackSkellington

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway I'm excluding Rat even because I'm building a three clipping version into a 1590B box.

Anyway, tou see? 13x15 on protoboard. How the Rat can stay in a 10x12 veroboard? ;D Maybe a simplfied version? It will be interesting! ;)

somnif

Well they also have an 11x12 DOD250 (same as the Dist+ with some component value changes) protoboard layout, if that interests you:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2014/11/dod-overdrive-250-grey-spec.html

Aion's build doc has a nice readable chart for what part values to swap out, if you don't mind reading a schematic as you do so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lfb3m6nlrq8v5c/aion-aphelion-distplus-documentation.pdf?dl=1

JackSkellington

Thanks! The mainly difference between the DOD250 and the Distortion+ is a cap from input to the ground that tame a bit some highs, it could be useful.
And the schematis help me a lot. ;)

Meanwhile, I draw this:

I don't know if I drawn it well and though the schematic is pretty simple this layout is UNVERIFIED.
(I tried to copy the Effects Layout style for a better and easier reading). ;D
The only problem is that with this layout is a bit hard replace the 470k resistor with a pot using a small value resistor like a 4.7k as minimum gain resistor. Not impossible, just a bit tricky and unhandy, or whatever.