News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klone oscillation (not the charge pump kind)

Started by AntKnee, March 28, 2019, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

At full gain, using neck pick up, my klone build is going into oscillation on some notes. Sounds fine on lower gain settings. This is not a setting I regularly use, but I still want to eliminate the problem.

Any thoughts?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

EBK

A long time ago, I read about some potential stability issues in the Klon design that can sometimes show up at higher gain settings.  It has to do with some component value mismatch/tolerance issue or something more intelligent sounding  ;), but I can't quite remember which parts cause the problem.... 

Best solution is to never turn the gain higher than 2 o'clock.  That's the end of the useful range for that control in my opinion.  YMMV.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

AntKnee

I figured it was a perfect storm of mismatched tolerances or something like that.
It's not a big deal. I don't play at that setting, but I just stumbled across it and wondered what caused it.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

AntKnee

Quote from: EBK on March 29, 2019, 01:09:09 PM
What sort of op amp are you using?

TL072
7660SCPA
Using all usual component values, no substitutions.