News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

10.27 - Pre-Ordering available

Started by madbean, October 27, 2011, 09:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Orders sent for components & chips and for dirtbag delay & current lover.

Tried yet another ebay seller for overpriced MN3005s, foolish but i thought that at least one needs to be the dumb guy for the others. Of course, i will let you know how this goes.

Ordered the V3205 as well.

Brian, i assumed you will write a "MN3005 to V3205 switch for dummies" as part of the project file?

I could not find some of the exact references for the IC & was too lazy to read all the datasheets:

So i ordered :

CD4049UB instead of CD4049UBE
CD4013     instead of CD4013BCN 
CD4047     instead of CD4047BCN 

Asking for some advice here:

Option 1:

"Lazy dumb, get back online & find what was listed".

Option 2:

"No big deal, this won't change a thing"

Option 3:

"The fact that you ask the question shows you're not ready for this".

aziltz

for those particular parts, i won't matter.

the UB part of UB means the outputs are unbuffered, which is what we want.

Usually, the letters after the part number signify temperature stability and conditions, things like that.  So the BCN really has no meaning for our application.  You'll be ok.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: djaaz on November 03, 2011, 12:53:38 AM
Orders sent for components & chips and for dirtbag delay & current lover.

Tried yet another ebay seller for overpriced MN3005s, foolish but i thought that at least one needs to be the dumb guy for the others. Of course, i will let you know how this goes.

Ordered the V3205 as well.

Brian, i assumed you will write a "MN3005 to V3205 switch for dummies" as part of the project file?

I could not find some of the exact references for the IC & was too lazy to read all the datasheets:

So i ordered :

CD4049UB instead of CD4049UBE
CD4013     instead of CD4013BCN 
CD4047     instead of CD4047BCN 

Asking for some advice here:

Option 1:

"Lazy dumb, get back online & find what was listed".

Option 2:

"No big deal, this won't change a thing"

Option 3:

"The fact that you ask the question shows you're not ready for this".

Haha, your IC's should be fine. Those numbers usually indicate things not too critical to the overall device function.  

MN3005's are definitely iffy from an unconfirmed source. UTsource used to have legit chips but recently all the reports are that they have fakes as well. The suppliers in HK all sell fakes. There was a source in Huntington Beach that pops up occasionally that sells legit chips but I haven't seen them in a while.

As for the d-bag delay I think there are just a few jumpers to change near the BBD chips, a few resistors are different and the power supply is slightly different. It should be very well marked in the final docs.

madbean

I listed the specific versions I used as a benchmark, but I don't foresee any problems using different varieties. The only potential problem might be in using a 4049BE instead of UB(E), i.e. buffered vs. non-buffered. Even then, I'm not positive about that.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Scruffie on November 02, 2011, 01:42:55 PM
And unless you run the 3005 AquaBoy on a higher voltage, you would receive no benefit from the 3005 chip, what it has over the 3205 is a higher max voltage to give it that higher head room, at low voltage (9V) there is some reason to beleive the 3205 would actually perform better than the 3005, although i'm not sure how much research has gone in to this, just the Datasheet specs.

You've convinced me to build the first of my 2 aquaboys V3205. Does the V3205 chip have about as much delay time as MN3005 or is it closer to MN3008? Either will do for me, just wondering  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 08, 2011, 01:09:57 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on November 02, 2011, 01:42:55 PM
And unless you run the 3005 AquaBoy on a higher voltage, you would receive no benefit from the 3005 chip, what it has over the 3205 is a higher max voltage to give it that higher head room, at low voltage (9V) there is some reason to beleive the 3205 would actually perform better than the 3005, although i'm not sure how much research has gone in to this, just the Datasheet specs.

You've convinced me to build the first of my 2 aquaboys V3205. Does the V3205 chip have about as much delay time as MN3005 or is it closer to MN3008? Either will do for me, just wondering  :)
Yup, V3205s are a clone of the MN3205 which both have 4096 Stages. You can also buy 3208s in 8 Pin & 14 Pin sized package which are a lower voltage 3008.

The 320X Series came about as far as i'm aware to fit a need to run off (9V) batteries better than there 300X counterparts, infact, looking at the change of big brand pedals (BOSS, MXR etc.) from those higher voltage chips to lower voltage chips, it's possible to question if they're partially why the 300X series are in shorter supply, perhaps the line was ended in favour of the lower voltage chips as technology advanced... which may also explain why the only new production BBDs are 320X series, as those same companies were still interested in them (I know MXR has 3204s made for themselves so clearly they have the buying power, which sadly us DIYers don't).

But remember, if you build one MN3005 & one V3205 Aqua Boy, don't be suprised if they sound different  ;D

Which reminds me, I remember reading people said the new production V3205s had a higher output than the old MN3205s, some changes may have been made in production I suppose when Behringer (Cool Audio) started making them so I wonder how the two 3205s compare in the same pedal.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Cool Audio is Behringer?!!?!?!?

Wow. That makes me not such a big fan all of a sudden.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on November 08, 2011, 02:56:29 PM
Cool Audio is Behringer?!!?!?!?

Wow. That makes me not such a big fan all of a sudden.

Jacob
Well Behringer certainly owns a company called Cool Audio, I assume it's the same guys.

Don't let the name taint it, after all, they're just using original chip dyes.
Works at Lectric-FX

tenwatt

Does this still look good for November 15th?  I've got all my parts except the enclosure.  What size should I order?
Not too bright....

gtr2

Quote from: madbean on October 30, 2011, 10:06:09 AM
The Dirtbag fits into a 1590BB in the vertical orientation  :)

The HoneyDripper and Current Lover require a 125B.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: tenwatt on November 10, 2011, 08:52:54 AM
Does this still look good for November 15th?

It may be +/- a day or two, but not more than that. Sometimes orders from the manufacturer take a little less than two weeks, sometimes not.

tenwatt

Am I the only one obsessively checking the build docs every other hour?  :P
Not too bright....

Micpoc

Quote from: tenwatt on November 15, 2011, 01:01:16 PM
Am I the only one obsessively checking the build docs every other hour?  :P

No.  ;)

madbean

You might as well wait. I'll be running right up to the last minute with those.

ramengo

I'm going to buy the pcb of the EM and DMM ... then I can have the information PDF ?