News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powder-coating over acrylic art

Started by britpeace, October 11, 2011, 03:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

I really like the artwork! My gf has been painting enclosures for me using acrylic and I love it. The biggest disappointment is I can't get a solid protection layer to preserve it. This looks like the route I need to go!
I'm surprised your using cheap-o paints and they look that good! My gf has trouble with the 99cents craft store paints and usually has to go over everything multiple times. I'm wondering if laying a coat of paint first makes it any easier?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

britpeace

Hey.. yea I do go over everything multiple times. With the cheap paints, I usually have to do about 3 layers, sometimes more, to get a nice solid/opaque look. This is the very first one I painted over powder coat, and it's the same principle. The finish is def more durable though than the clear coat we used before (even though we never really had an issue with it). The only thing is when you bake the powder clear coat over top of the acrylic, which you have to do at a much higher temp than regular clear-coat or laquer, we have learned that it tends to yellow the artwork a little. Not too bad, but enough to notice sometimes. We're still trying to figure out the best thing to do to avoid that or lessen it at least... I'd love to see some of your hand-painted ones! Do you have pics anywhere?

jimmybjj

You might try a low temp clear coat next time around to avoid some yellowing.

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-lo-temp-topcoat.html
Pcbs no longer available

thatirishsob

Very inspiring work Brit! I'm gonna have to try my hand at this now  ;D