News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Switching possibilities- would this work

Started by youngstownguitar, October 27, 2011, 09:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

I have a slambox and zombii in a single enclosure.  Each effect has its own switch 3PDT switch.  The effects can be ran independently or together.

My question: Is it possible to add a third switch? One that would switch between the effects?

My goal is to have both effects engaged but not running in line- just one in the signal at a time.  I know that there are things like A/B switches but I would like to have everything compact and in this single enclosure.  I would think that just based on logic this shouldn't be too hard to achieve but I cant find any diagrams and I dont know enough about wiring to figure it out.  Please help!

BTW- here is the layout I have used- it works great

Jamiroking

I think I need a little more clarification on what you want it to do and if you still want the ability to stack them in line. This would make it have three settings:

1) In line as usual
2) Zombii engaged but out of the signal path, Slambox activated
3) Slambox engaged but out of the signal path, zombii activated

Do I have that right?

If so, I don't see an easier way to do it with less than 2 additional switches: 1 to switch modes and then an additional to do your switching between pedals. This wiring would do the trick (in addition to your switch/power wiring). Personally, I think an easier solution would be to just step on both switches at the same time to alternate effects.

youngstownguitar

ah interesting.
When I built the pedal I had not considered that I may desire to hit both switches at once and I put them too far apart to step on together.
I wouldn't want to have to add 2 more switches tho.
to clarify, I would like to be able to:
1 activate just the slambox
2 activate just the zombii
3 be able to run them both at once
4 be able to switch between the two with one step

jkokura

You want four different switching options, usually that means 4 different switches...

I'm puzzling out things in my head, which is foggy right now because of cold meds. But I don't think what you're wanting is all available. To simplify it, I would suggest you pare your list down to two options:

1. Zombii and Slambox on independent bypass switches: options are no effect, just boost, just fuzz, both effects.

2. Flip flop and bypass switches. Options are: no effect, effect on with only one effect available at a time but switched back and forth with one stomp switch.

Both of those are easy with two switches. It would be much more difficult to do both options.

Alternatively, you could build a second pedal with a Slambox and Zombii and have both versions.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jamiroking

Yeah, I'm afraid Jacob's right, even through the cold medicine.

His options are pretty much the limit you'd be able to do with two switches. With the wiring diagram i posted you could get all 4 of the options you're looking for, but I think you see that it gets a lot more complicated than you'd like. Even beyond the building aspect, its going to probably be even more annoying to work since you'd have to make sure both effect switches were on and the in-line/individual switch was on before you could even use the switch between the two.

Maybe another, more makeshift option would be to place a third stomp close enough to the existing Slambox switch that you could step on them both at the same time. Then, wire it so it would choose whether to send the input signal to the zombii, or skip it and send it straight to the slambox. This way, you could leave the zombii on and do 1 double switch stomp to simultaneously skip the zombii, sending the signal straight from the input jack to the slambox AND turn on the slambox. As long as you leave that zombii on, it should work but like I said, a double switch stomp is probably not the clean solution you were hoping for.

youngstownguitar

Thanks guys.

I think I will build a second pedal and make it the second option in jkokura's post:
" Flip flop and bypass switches. Options are: no effect, effect on with only one effect available at a time but switched back and forth with one stomp switch. "

Would someone be so kind as to show me a basic way to wire that up?

If I understand it correctly there will be 2 switches?  One to turn the pedal on and one to toggle between effects?  Or would each effect still have its own switch?