News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New (old) (free!) amp day

Started by mjg, April 24, 2019, 05:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Got this for free today - my partner saw it on a local 'free stuff' website.  A 'Princeton', but not a Fender amp.  It's a Prince PG-100SA - solid state 30w amp.

As far as I can tell, it would have been produced in the 1970s by the Prince Tsushinkogyo company. They renamed in 1980 to Arion, and stopped making amps in the mid 80s. 

It's got a bit of character, and could do with some cosmetic work, but it still fires up and worked fine.

It has a small spring reverb built in, as well as tremolo. 

I'll need to replace the back panel, fix the carry handle, fix the power light, and maybe change the scratchy volume pot. One of the input jacks seems to have been glued in place at some point, and wobbles a fair bit, so I'll replace that too. I'll also have to find some knobs for it, once I work out what the original would have looked like.

EBK

Nice score!
Maybe replace that cord too? It looks awfully thin.  Is there a safety ground? A strain relief?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

It's a bargain at twice the price!

Nice score, man.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mjg

Quote from: EBK on April 24, 2019, 05:30:57 AM
Nice score!
Maybe replace that cord too? It looks awfully thin.  Is there a safety ground? A strain relief?

The power cable seems OK - it's the same thickness as other amps I've got.  It is attached to the inside of the cabinet so I guess that gives some strain relief, and it has a ground pin.  I'll double check that the ground pin is actually attached to something sensible...

mjg

I started renovating the amp tonight, figured I could replace some pots, jacks and the power indicator light. 

Got everything unscrewed, started edging it out, and out crawls a whitetail spider.  While it's apparently a myth that their bite causes flesh necrosis, they still hurt. 

Ahh, the joys of living in Australia.   ;D

The spider has crawled into the reverb tank.  Not sure how to 'debug' this situation.   ;)

marmaliser

Quote from: mjg on April 29, 2019, 03:38:06 AM
I started renovating the amp tonight, figured I could replace some pots, jacks and the power indicator light. 

Got everything unscrewed, started edging it out, and out crawls a whitetail spider.  While it's apparently a myth that their bite causes flesh necrosis, they still hurt. 

Ahh, the joys of living in Australia.   ;D

The spider has crawled into the reverb tank.  Not sure how to 'debug' this situation.   ;)
Burn it - This is why I will never visit Australia

Muadzin

EBK

I just cleaned a bunch of spider egg sacs off of my recently acquired amp today.  We have black widow spiders here, but they generally don't need to be feared unless you are about to accidentally crush one.  Supposedly, their bite can cause painful abdominal spasms.

One of those giant huntsman spiders from Australia would probably cause me to shit my pants and hit my head on the ceiling.  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

We get painful abdominal spasms here too but they call it Budweiser.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mjg

Quote from: EBK on April 29, 2019, 03:23:39 PM
One of those giant huntsman spiders from Australia would probably cause me to shit my pants and hit my head on the ceiling.  :P

Lol... the huntsmen are the harmless ones!

That said, I did let out a manly yell one time when I put on my work gloves in the garage, and couldn't work out why one glove didn't fit any more.  Then it started wiggling inside.  A huntsman had gone into the glove for a nap.   I look inside gloves before putting them on now.

HamSandwich

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

UGGHHH

flanagan0718

Nice score. Stuff from that time period is always awesome!!
I love getting free stuff. One of the engineers from work recently gave up on a project and gave it to me. It's a 50s Bogen bass amp that he started to mod and lost interest in. Pictures below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjg

That's cool.  The one I scored isn't a valve one, it's all solid state.  But for the price I'll take what I get.   :)

Ok I'll stop talking about our 8 legged friends, I promise.   8)

flanagan0718

Quote from: mjg on April 30, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
That's cool.  The one I scored isn't a valve one, it's all solid state.  But for the price I'll take what I get.   :)

Ok I'll stop talking about our 8 legged friends, I promise.   8)

Amen to that!! The amp you got probably requires less work too!

Muadzin

Quote from: mjg on April 30, 2019, 12:27:02 AM
Lol... the huntsmen are the harmless ones!

That said, I did let out a manly yell one time when I put on my work gloves in the garage, and couldn't work out why one glove didn't fit any more.  Then it started wiggling inside.  A huntsman had gone into the glove for a nap.   I look inside gloves before putting them on now.

Thanks for reminding me what Discovery Channel had taught me before, when in Ozz, always check your shoes, gloves, nooks and crannies before putting them on, or all of a sudden opening them. You never know what nasty poisonous thing crawled up inside them. That continent most definitely does not like humans.