News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New dirt cheap flea market amp day

Started by EBK, April 27, 2019, 02:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Scored this at a community flea market today (items are donated and sold for mostly arbitrary prices as a fund raiser for the school that hosted the event):

$15USD.
Sounds like shit through the built-in 12-inch speaker (bad speaker?), but is actually pretty nice through the headphone jack.

The best part was when the person quoting me the price suggested that I could test it to see if it worked by plugging it in to a nearby outlet. I left my guitar in my other pants, so I had to buy it as-is, but the price was right, even with risk of it being dead.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

I acquired an old Harmony solid state amp that looks very similar.  It had a 10" speaker and sounded "meh" but was a nice little bench amp because it was totally neutral.  On a whim I installed the 12" speaker pulled from a Blues Jr. when the owner upgraded and it completely opened up the amp.  This thing rips.  It's still my bench amp but its great for pedals because I get a really realistic view of what the pedal sounds like.  Very little coloration and tons of headroom.  It's the one instance of not-having-a-personality is actually an advantage.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Felt I should briefly update this story:

After lots of elbow grease (mostly with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs), plus a new speaker.

I actually like this amp a lot more than I expected to.   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber