News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zygote B/M & Tweak Control

Started by Marcelo, October 30, 2011, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo

Hi there,

I finished my Zygote...sounds amazing! I love it. All seems to be working fine, but I cannot notice any differences when I flip the B/M switch and/or when messing with the tweak pot. I check the components associated with this part of the circuit, test the pot, change the resistors, change the pot, but nothing seems to make a difference. Looking at this circuit, it looks like this part is very simple, just adding more resistance to the circuit.
Any suggestions? anybody having the same issue? I am giving up on this one....
Thanks!
m

jkokura

Hey M, don't give up!

Sometimes those changes seem very subtle in certain circumstances. I know that I built a treble booster once with a switch to change input caps and I couldn't tell the difference at the small volume I used to test it while my daughter napped. Once I cranked my amp with humbuckers I could really tell though.

Another problem may be that you have made a small error somewhere. I often suspect wiring first in a situation like this. What I would suggest, and I hope you take this the right way, is for you to not assume you have done everything correctly. Carefully check, then check again, and make sure you have:

- used the right parts in the right places
- oriented the parts to face the right direction if they need it
- properly connected the switches and pots to the correct places.
- properly soldered connections for all your parts

Usually a pedal that doesn't work right usually comes down to one of those four problems. I would bet 19 out of 20 non working pedals fall under those 4 issues. Check them, then check them again. I hope you find your problem.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mgwhit

Would you mind posting clear photos of the board with the solder side and component side visible?  I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Marcelo

Thank you guys for the responses and advise. Jacob got it right! I use a small solid state amp (microcube by Roland) to test my builds. There is no difference whatsoever on the sound when messing with the switch/knob. I check, recheck, change components, nothing. But since I love the sound of the pedal and the rest of switches/knobs woks perfectly, I gave up on this one and mounted in my pedalboard.
I play Through 4-100W amps: Soldano, Fuchs, Marshall Silver Jub and  Diaz. Guess what? the switch and the knob works great with he tube amps! not a tremendous different in sounds but definitely it's there, in particular cranking the amps up. Great pedal! Highly recommended. I hope Brian brings it back!
So...thank you guys for the advise and help! m