News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phaser build

Started by mjg, May 08, 2019, 03:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

This is based on the Mu-Tron Phasor II circuit, with a few more options to vary the sound.  I've put in two rotary switches, which let you vary the number of stages in the phaser from 3 to 8, and change the tone capacitors of the first four stages.  Also a 'slow' switch to really drop the speed of the phasing, and a relay bypass. 

For something different on the enclosure, I've used the drill press with a depth stop, and drilled a pattern using different drill bit sizes. It was a bit nerve racking with the larger bits, as I thought it might punch through the metal completely, but it worked out pretty nicely in the end.

Stamped lettering, which got a bit hairy near the edges, where I didn't support the enclosure underneath properly.  It ended up bending then tearing the aluminium, and I had to hammer it back into shape.  Whoops.  Doesn't show with a bit of a sand, thankfully.

TFZ

Love the drill pattern finish, cool stuff! Also a big fan of stamped letters, just a nice simple, rough look :D.

Timko

What do those 2 knobs in the enclosure do?

DLW

Simple elegance. Good job on this! Got a demo clip?

jimilee

Phasor!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

The drilled design looks great. Reminds me of crop circles, which seems appropriate for a phasor. Also digging the octagonal enclosure.

mjg

Thanks guys,

The two knobs inside the enclosure are covering the LED and LDRs.  They were just the right size to use as covers. 

I'll hopefully have a demo video done later in the week. 

I have 4 or 5 of these boards spare, which I'll stick in the Buy/Sell area sometime soon.

gordo

That is too cool.  What a great idea!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Love it. Very cool, creative idea.

I've been teaching a unit on quadratics in algebra lately. This build is on point with that.

selfdestroyer

mjg

mjg

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 08, 2019, 05:32:14 PM
Love it. Very cool, creative idea.

I've been teaching a unit on quadratics in algebra lately. This build is on point with that.

I think I used y = x^2 / 2, or something similar to map out the holes.  :)

Leevibe

That drilling idea is totally genius. Nice job!!!

Betty Wont

I'd be into building this version. The II is my favorite.

mjg

Quote from: Torgoslayer on May 09, 2019, 08:40:23 PM
I'd be into building this version. The II is my favorite.

I've added the spare boards to my Buy/Sell thread.  Thanks!

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29058.msg287381#new