News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eoo3 progress

Started by gordo, May 20, 2019, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Every now and then (admittedly too often for me) a project comes around that you just HAVE to build.  This one is in the league of my Ambika synth build...expensive, lots of work, chip burning, and bit of a white knuckle ride.  The pay off...even considering that I'm just riding in on the coat tails of the people who've put these projects together...was to be able to step back and think "wow...I built this!".

This one will be a daily driver.

I've ordered parts from Mouser and will finish up with a few bits from BLMS, so while waiting I thought I'd get the chassis drilled out.  Marshall Arts has gone to a lot of trouble of laying out a very detailed drill guide in SVG format.  I downloaded and installed Inkscape to manipulate it a bit.  The zip file I'm attaching to this post is the resulting PDF files.  If you print them to actual size, cut along the lines, and then tape them together they will be exactly 59cm in width and layout all the top/back/inside-bottom holes you need, along with hole sizes.

The pages taped together and the drilled enclosure:

And more detail:

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Willybomb

What are you using for an enclosure?

cooder

That looks super tidy drilling and cutting the square, top notch! Yes, wow, you're building this, epic.
Looking forward to seeing how it comes together!
BigNoise Amplification

Timko

Quote from: Willybomb on May 20, 2019, 05:43:23 PM
What are you using for an enclosure?

I have the same question.  Did you order it from overseas?  Or did you get one of the few MA was selling?

gordo

I got one of the few that MA was selling but I've got them stateside before.  If you call the contact info in the docs you can find it.  I think you have to buy a 6' piece if memory serves.  Might be a good setup for a group buy.
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

For the enclosure: you can also try Musikding, the sell a 60 cm Looper enclosure (it's the same cable channel)

gordo

Been a rough summer so far so it's knocked me off anything close to a schedule.

Bad news: my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer and we had to put our dog of 12 years down (and in the same week!!)
Good news: wife is doing marvelously (well she doesn't think so just yet as she's very sick from chemo once a week and radiation 5x week) and is expected to beat it.  And we are getting a puppy in a few more weeks.  Doberman.

The Eoo3 is coming along after Marshall Arts walked me thru the Arduino programming.  He has revised the build doc so if there's anyone out there getting close to firing code in the beast I'd make sure you have the latest and greatest.  He's done a nice job of explaining the process.

Here's a few progress shots and I'm hoping to get some of the wiring done over the next few days:

Note the bench stickers and the beer opener.  Oh and it's stain on the bench...not blood...really...

Gordy Power

jimilee

All the best Gordo, I hope she continues to improve and the new dog fills your heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Marshall Arts

That looks really good, gordo. Much better than my build ;-). While you are at it, you might consider to drill two or three extra holes in the bottom to attach it to a pedal board. I ended up doing that with mine (with a wood wedge under it to raise the loop buttons). I really like what you did to the display... please explain!

Marshall Arts

Is the labeling waterside?

gordo

The display is my not so subtle attempt to rescue some jacked up drill holes.  I ended up using hot glue to mount the LED panel and used a chunk of hardware store lexan cut to size.  I taped it off and shot a border in black with spray paint.  I might touch it up with a bit of black paint inside the display cavity.  I'm worried about it breaking loose but I'll see how it holds up.

They are water slides and although the photo hides it a bit you can see witness lines around them.  I shot clear nitro lacquer to seal them.  It was about the only thing to stick to the coating on the aluminum.  If I do this again (I have another set of boards) I'd cut a piece of thin lexan the size of the front and it would serve as the display cover and protect the lettering.

This project bit me a few times with lack of consumables.  First I ran out of solder (excuse me??....) and now it looks like I'm short on hookup wire (I swear I just did a Barry's Best order not that long ago).

What I DO like about this project is that it's a throwback to how exciting new builds used to be.  I swear I've read the build docs so many times I have them memorized.  I'm kind of on the edge of my seat the whole time I'm working on it.  Great fun.

It's also got me thinking about how to layout a new pedal board to accommodate.  I suspect I'll cut back to essentials (not a bad thing) and try to incorporate a midi effect in the amp's loop, much as you've done with your Helix.  The fact that it also makes the amp switching more of an "effect" will be pretty cool too.
Gordy Power

gordo

Thanks Jimi!  I'm off to Vermont this weekend and then we pick up the little guy once I'm back.  Photos to follow.
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

The biggest fun is putting it all together on a new board. Midi, stompboxes, amp channels... It's flawless. At first, it is some work to wrap your head around the concepts, especially if you are new to the midi side of things. Eventually, you end up with a few banks with master setups and you build your presets without ever bending down.

Marshall Arts

BTW, Gordo - here is an overview about how I use my Eoo3... I did that for myself, should I ever have to debug that thing...

DLW

Your drilling game is strong!