News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Faceplate-ish idea..

Started by Sigesmundninja, October 31, 2011, 10:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

So, I had a little idea. I've build about 10-15 pedals now but i never been able do label them in anyway.. no success when printing inkjet and laserjet so I've just been using a magic marker.. But now I got a little bigger project in mind which is going to cost a little more than usual and I really want to make a nice faceplate to mount on it.

Here my idea!... Buy sheets of pickguard-material 3ply black/white/black and then use a drill to "mill" out letters and lines in CNC-machine (at work). by milling through the first black layer of pickguard It should reveal white letters. What do think? will it work? anybody tried anything like this?

/Markus

madbean

I think that would be nothing less that outstanding!

jkokura

That does sound cool. If you have access to a CNC machine there are a huge number of materials you could use. Etched aluminum, glass, cardboard... er... Sorry. Got thinking of my recycling bin.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

masterlk

Not for sure but you may have an issue with RPM's on the CNC being too fast which might melt the plastic.  Try it first on a piece scrap plastic you have lying around and let us know.

Sigesmundninja

Yeah, i've got an old SG-pickguard laying around that i'm gonna try it one. I'll let you know as soon as I get some free time at work to tweak the S and F  ;D

shawnee

I had a similar idea. I am almost finished tweaking my Boneyard and had want to go with the "Marshall Plexi" theme for sure. I saw K-Rock's version and his is just perfection. My problem is that I don't want to have to spray clear over the entire enclosure or have a decal covering the whole top. Sooooooo I decided to make a "plexi" panel. I found a great piece of plexiglass at work that's super thin. I cut it out about  1 1/2" x 5 3/4" (the length of the pedal to go under the knobs). I drilled holes in it and the pots will hold it in place without any glue. I'm going to use a clear waterslide and print the control labels mirror image. Once I put the waterslide on the plexi and let it dry, I will spray over the waterslide with gold paint. When I flip it over, I'll have the black lettering showing with gold behind it and it should look just like a real plexi panel! If you have ever painted plexi and flipped it over, it comes out perfect. You just can't mess it up. Even if you have runs or any other imperfections they just don't show. I won't have labels for the foot switches but that isn't a big deal. I'll post when I finally get done with this pedal.

timbo_93631

Look for Lamacoid material, it is what they use to make plastic labels for heavy manufacturing and packaging machinery.  My cousin scott got his start in CNC doing lamacoid labels for the machinery manufacturer he works for.  It won't melt like ABS pickgaurd material, I think it is a form of hard acrylic and much more tolerant to machining processes.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Sigesmundninja

I will see if I can find some Lamacoid, theres a little firm that does engraving just a mile from my apartment. Maybe I can get hold of some scrap-pieces