News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp

Started by madbean, June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

It'd be cool to take a second swing at both the Grease Gun and Rump Roast.  For some reason I never warmed up to the originals (my problem, not the pedal design) and I never really understood why.  I miss my old Night Train, although I traded it for a 6505MH that has been my main amp for better than a year, so having a pedal version would be cool.

I'm very excited about the Systech coming up.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Quote from: Aleph Null on November 04, 2019, 08:51:35 AM
If I may ask, why the sudden interest in dirt boxes? Is a lot of the VFE stuff going away making room for new inventory? Just curious.

I've neglected doing any new overdrives for the last couple of years while I was putting out the VFE stuff. None of the VFE will be going away for a long time, rest assured.

Here's the second volley which completes everything I'll try to stock/prototype for 2019.

Crackshot - GreaseGun2
Arsonist - TC Electronic Spark Boost
Boneyard - Plexitone
Krusty Drive - Ibanez Crunchy Rythym (after I saw the schematic I couldn't resist)
SandStorm - Maxon SD-9
Dragonbeard - a super tricked out Expandora

Willybomb

Will the Boneyard be dual or single channel?

madbean

Quote from: Willybomb on November 06, 2019, 05:38:26 AM
Will the Boneyard be dual or single channel?

I had planned on it being 1.5 channels with switching between two gain pots but actually I think I could just do two channels, each having a separate volume output but share the tone control. I think I'll do that instead.

-------------------

I couldn't let go of the Graphic Fuzz suggestion. After listening to some clips I decided it's something I want to build so I took a pass at it. The layout actually was easier than I though with maybe the last 5% of routing getting a bit hairy. Two areas I'm not yet sure about are the power and switching.

The power is a 12v dual rail so I actually put on two options: one using a charge pump and 12v PSU to get the -12v rail and the other using one of the Murata DC blocks and uses a 9v PSU. I think probably either will work fine since the only question is how much juice the negative rail needs. I don't think it's going to be more than 100mA!

The other was whether or not to use the original FET based switching. I decided to stick with that for now. I'm pretty sure I know what to do to convert it to true bypass but I think I want to at least try the FET switching out first.

Anyway, here's the first pass at a layout. The eq bands are 9mm plastic shaft pots at the top. I like this arrangement since sliders are pretty much out of the question.

JackSkellington

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2019, 05:57:51 AM
The CFH is a very hacky effort. It's just a static SHO with clipping diodes and a tone control. But, it sounds quite good so I'm going to do a run of them. Also, CFH stands for Crotch Fire Hurricane.

Hi, I found the Crotch Fire Hurricane, and I'm really curious about it, but I can't fine any sample or demo.
I have none BS170 now to try it, but I played around with the circuit. I emulate it with a software to see the frequencies, I think it's a little circuit with some possible mods. ;)

I changed the tone pot with another simple tone used in some pedal (OCD for example) for a wide range of treble control. We could use a Gain pot like the original SHO or, if the crackle don't like, we could use a Crackle Not Ok Gain pot, and see how they sound.

Meanwhile, did someone built it or try it? Who has some demo, please.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: madbean on November 05, 2019, 06:05:36 PM
Dragonbeard - a super tricked out Expandora

Interested in what you've done with this. Having done a little messing around with that circuit in the past, I'm happy to contribute, if that's of any use.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com