News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Packing in

Started by juansolo, June 06, 2019, 05:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

The time has come for me to pack in making pedals. It's come from a few things, I'm not making anything for myself lately and we no longer sell enough for the hobby to be self funding being two of the biggies. But also because I'm simply not enjoying it like I used to. I'm making a final multi for a friend and my heart just isn't in it.

This doesn't mean I'll disappear from the scene. I still come here every day, I'm a lot less active than I was regardless because of what's been going on. It does mean that I'll be having a bit of a blowout on PCBs and pedals shortly when I can sort them out. That'll likely occur on TFB in the UK, but I'll link it up here also.

It's been fun, but it's time to move on.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

peAk

:-[

Total bummer but I completely understand.

Good luck with this next "phase" of your life.

dan.schumaker

That's too bad to hear, but totally understandable.  Glad we aren't losing you as part of the community here!

jimilee

That's too bad, but I understand. I haven't built in sometime now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Adam_DIY

That sucks dude your posts on the fretboard helped give me the confidence to start building my own.  Hopefully you come back to it someday.

vizcities

Quote from: juansolo on June 06, 2019, 05:57:58 AM
The time has come for me to pack in making pedals. It's come from a few things, I'm not making anything for myself lately and we no longer sell enough for the hobby to be self funding being two of the biggies. But also because I'm simply not enjoying it like I used to. I'm making a final multi for a friend and my heart just isn't in it.

This doesn't mean I'll disappear from the scene. I still come here every day, I'm a lot less active than I was regardless because of what's been going on. It does mean that I'll be having a bit of a blowout on PCBs and pedals shortly when I can sort them out. That'll likely occur on TFB in the UK, but I'll link it up here also.

It's been fun, but it's time to move on.

100% in the same headspace over here. In fact, I'm more or less done with electronics in general. I've been doing a June "blowout" where I finish up a rack of preamps, an Echomatic tape delay, a tube mic, and about eleven pedals, but I'm putting everything in a box indefinitely afterward. After five years of craning over a bench, I feel like it's time for me to privilege people over hobbies, make more art, learn a few new skills, and maybe even *gasp* use all the stuff I've made to write a few songs.

juansolo

I still dabble in electronics but lately it's been vintage TVs/monitors/computers/consoles. Which is where things are at the moment. I really, really enjoyed the pedal journey however, it taught me a lot and this is an absolutely awesome community. So I'm still certainly gonna stick around.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

vizcities

Agreed! Madbean's forum is definitely my gold standard for being decent, helpful, and good-natured on the internet.  :)

Tremster

Please don't!

But at least you're staying on the forum.

matmosphere

It'll be sad to not see a fine Jaunsolo build report now and again for the inspiration, but I wish you the best of luck with all the other stuff.

I haven't done more than half a dozen pedals each year for the last two years. I think I've made 2-3 this year. so I totally get it.

I got into this as a way to stay connected with music because I haven't had time to play much for years now. After getting a few things set on the board 3-4 years ago I have probably spend more time building most pedals than I do actually playing through them once they are done.

Bret608

I totally don't blame you...you've built every type of circuit multiple times and provided tons of inspiration to all of us here, so it's not like you'll be moving on from this hobby with much in the way of unfinished business, if that makes any sense. Glad you'll still be around, but also glad you're focusing more on things that your heart is in at the moment. Not that I've built tons to begin with myself, but at this point I'm in a groove of building only two to three pedals per year and otherwise just trying to enjoy playing through the ones I do have, selling them off only if they're duplicative or not my favorites. 

alanp

I know I've drifted out of pedalbuilding. But I still come here every day too :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

Pity, you're spotless wiring will be missed for sure. But I agree with the others, if you don't feel the spark it's better to move on. That doesn't mean it won't come back some time.
For me it's similar. Since I started working in the electronics business (and working outside of the university for that matter) spare time got reduced and I find myself not playing guitar at all this year. The motivation has totally shifted to rockclimbing (bouldering, sports and multi-pitch for what it's worth) I also had some hickups with the more recent builds, which drained my motivation on the subject to explore my own creations (debugging is just to much like work atm). Got an easy request by a friend the other day and I'm totally looking forward to the straight forward build and enclosure etching.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

gtr2

The seasons of life.  Your contributions will be missed!
Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

Well, that sucks John, your an asset to the community.  Glad to hear we will still see you around though. And you never know when that pedal itch might need scratching again? :) just kidding, all the best mate.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube