News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Giants, Mastodons, Whammoths, oh my! (plus Squidward, Mudbunny & U-235)

Started by TheDude, June 13, 2019, 07:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

Hey guys, so it's been awhile since I've had a chance to take pictures of my pedals, but I've kept busy, with 6 completed builds, and another 7 or so that I'm in the process of slowly boxing up. Lot's of fuzz with a bit of octave as well. Apologies in advance for the messy wiring...

Grind Customs Temple of Giants -
Nice quick build, probably could have been built into a 1590 B, but I'm not at that confidence level quite yet. Still a fun build, though I don't think it will be cracking my pedalboard right now.

Whammoth -
I had already built a GuitarPCB Mastodon and just wasn't in love with it. I chalked this up to it being my only attempt at offboard mounted pots, so I order the new Mastodon v3, but also wanted to try out the Whammoth to see if there was a difference. And I definitely prefer the Whammoth. Tonally there isn't a ton of difference, but my usable range seems to be much more with the Whammoth. Still not pedalboard, but that might change with a new head (if you've seen my recent post about my new amp being bassier than I'd like).

As you'll see, the graphics here are very similar to the ToG. Part of my "Wall of Fuzz" series. You'll see a few more series in this post.

Mudbunny - Green Russian
Built my first Mudbunny in a Green Russian version, and this thing kicks ass. Easily on the pedalboard - wide usable range and wide tonal range allowing me to cover a lot songs while also finding new tones in between. This is my first of 3 Mudbunnies, with a Mayo and a Triangle to come yet. Also a new graphic series here, going with a Russian feel in the vein of Dieselpunk/Atom Punk.

Sidenote - any idea why my Mayo Mudbunny might be quiet with BC550's in them, but loud when I put in the 2N5088's?

U-235 Subocatve Generator
Keeping up the Atompunk theme here, this pedal is fun to fart around with a bit, but as I found out from mic and jimilee, is not very friendly to single coils, while my go-to is a strat. Looking to build another with sockets to try out the mod that mic suggested. Maybe call that one the U-236?

Pedal PCB Squidward
This pedal is fun, but a bit glitchy for me. Sounds better when you don't have a cranked fuzz slamming right into it. Very simple build, again could have gone into a 1590A, but just not quite there yet. Maybe in the future.

I had to go with the original name for this pedal though. I was 7 I think when SpongeBob came out - I'm the perfect age for it. And I can't stand it. I feel dumber for watching it. And I love stupid humor. Maybe it's just because people's obsession with it weird me out. I don't know. But I named mine the tentacle. Modeled after the original with a different tentacle graphic and a pirate-esque font, and bathed it in my clear coat to the point where it yellowed to look like it was raised from underwater. Part of an "Old Gods" series. Cthulhu cometh.

Mastodon v3
As I mentioned with the Whammoth, I wanted to try this out when Barry came out with a PCB mounted pot version. My v2 came out very glitchy, and was tough to find any usable range with it. When this one came out, I wanted to compare on- vs off-boarded pots. This one is much less noisey, but still too glitchy in my opinion. If you find the spot you like, set and forget it.

This one was handpainted to match the other one, this time vertical instead of horizontal.

The dude abides

Bret608

Nice run of fuzzes here! On your Mayo sidenote, make sure you flip those BC550s 180 degrees opposite to the silkscreen image of the transistor package. The pinout on those is usually flipped compared to 2n5088s, so that's the only thing that comes to mind right away. My apologies if you already knew this. Again, awesome builds!

benny_profane

Quote from: Bret608 on June 13, 2019, 10:55:21 AM
Nice run of fuzzes here! On your Mayo sidenote, make sure you flip those BC550s 180 degrees opposite to the silkscreen image of the transistor package. The pinout on those is usually flipped compared to 2n5088s, so that's the only thing that comes to mind right away. My apologies if you already knew this. Again, awesome builds!

That was my thought, too. The BC550C should have similar hFE characteristics compared to the 2n5088.

And, agreed! Nice work with the fuzzes! Looking forward to more builds!

KMRO

More fuzz!  More Cthulu!  Looks great.  Productive and exploratory. 

TheDude

Quote from: KMRO on June 13, 2019, 08:12:28 PM
More fuzz!  More Cthulu!  Looks great.  Productive and exploratory.
Always room for more fuzz! Cthulhu is coming. Currently on a run of phasers, trems and reverbs, all out of the murky depths

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

TheDude

Quote from: benny_profane on June 13, 2019, 12:47:31 PM
Quote from: Bret608 on June 13, 2019, 10:55:21 AM

That was my thought, too. The BC550C should have similar hFE characteristics compared to the 2n5088.

And, agreed! Nice work with the fuzzes! Looking forward to more builds!

Thanks guys! Just tried out the BC550s last night and turns out I didn't flip them around on the first try. Sounds exactly like the Siamese Dream album, love it! Appreciate the help!

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides