News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosure 3D/Sculpture Ideas

Started by Bio77, June 21, 2019, 11:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I'm planning to build a NomNom phaser soon.  Since the pedal has just the one knob, there is a lot of open space on the enclosure to have some fun with the design. 

I have a few 10 mm LEDs and I thought about making a 3D eye coming out of the pedal.  I'm thinking about the best way to implement this, e.g.  clay or mold of some kind.  Has any one built something like this or know of a build report to reference? 

EBK

You have my attention.  You know I firmly believe the world needs more weird novel pedals.

Heat-moldable plastic might work.  No personal experience in this area though.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Bio77

Quote from: EBK on June 21, 2019, 11:14:00 AM
You have my attention.  You know I firmly believe the world needs more weird novel pedals.

Heat-moldable plastic might work.  No personal experience in this area though.

Thanks for your input.  You are definitely the guy to help bring a pedal idea to "life", though, I don't imagine mine will need watering.  I'll check out the heat moldable plastic.  I also saw a video of a guy cloning old vintage knobs.  I might be able to sculp something out of clay then cast it in hard plastic.

mjg

If you want just a simple hemisphere in plastic, have a look at what this guy does at 8:05 - 8:45, when making finger tips for a gauntlet.  Basically soften some styrofoam and press it through an opening to make the shape.

(Yes, I'm making an Infinity Gauntlet for my kid at the moment...it's not for me...)

Or hey, maybe just cut a ping pong ball in half, that might be easier if it is the shape you are after. :)

Bio77

Quote from: mjg on June 21, 2019, 04:18:07 PM
If you want just a simple hemisphere in plastic, have a look at what this guy does at 8:05 - 8:45, when making finger tips for a gauntlet.  Basically soften some styrofoam and press it through an opening to make the shape.

(Yes, I'm making an Infinity Gauntlet for my kid at the moment...it's not for me...)

Or hey, maybe just cut a ping pong ball in half, that might be easier if it is the shape you are after. :)

Thanks for the link.  I had a lot of fun watching clay videos, yesterday.  I should be careful when I say that, Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds might break through my wall.   

I'm thinking about making the LED the eye ball, I'd like to sculp/mold the lids and brow.   

mjg

Ahh right, I get it now. Yes, the clay is probably what you want.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.