News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bloviator not working on two different boards

Started by shiftybuilder, June 17, 2019, 04:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftybuilder

I have built the new Bloviator 2017 twice. Each time, I get no output with the switch engaged. Led lights up, but no sound. I do get sound through bypass though. The first time I built it, I thought I thought I might have put the pots on opposite, so I ordered another board. Built it again, this time with a 3DPT board for the switch to ensure no problems in hooking up the wiring. The second time, I also used a multi meter to hand select each resistor to match spec. I used a microscope to ensure there were no solder points touching each other, and used 20 gauge wire to ensure no broken leads. I switched out the op amps when things didnt work and still no result. I am an experienced builder, but this one has made me nuts. And yes, I have reheated the solder points to find any cold solder joints. No luck.

zgrav

Interesting that you have built two of these and ended up with the same problem.  In general, these builds for the smaller cases are tougher than larger enclosures.  Have you used your DMM to check for shorts between the wires going to and from the header board?
For starters, you might want to clean some of the flux residue off of you PCB using rubbing alcohol or some other type of electronic cleaner.

The I would use an audio probe to find out how far your audio signal is going through the PCB, starting at the input and checking the audio in and out for all of the points on the ICs. 

When you find the spot where the audio stops use your DMM to make sure your parts connect as shown in your circuit diagram, take voltage readings on the ICs, check ground connections, etc.

Versital1

I built a Bloviater 2014 edition also and its not working. My Audio path stops at R2 and C2 and Pin 3 on TL072. I think the power is shorting out because using two different DC power supplies I read +9V not connected and 0.1V when connected.  I get a shorting tone on multi-meter from D1 to ground. Before I start pulling things out any Ideas?? I checked all the resistors to be correct.

pickdropper

I agree with the audio probe suggestion.

On a possibly unrelated subject, it's really better not to cut through your solder joints when trimming them.  That can be traumatic to the joint and cause issues, either immediate or down the line.  The general rule of thumb is to trim just above the joint.  Or trim before soldering.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper