News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another one bites the dust

Started by flanagan0718, June 18, 2019, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So, I too have decided to hang up the iron. The hobby is no longer fun for me. I don't remember the last fun build I did. I'll probably unload some stuff at some point but for now. I will probably just box it all up. I will still check in here from time to time and contribute when I can. Thanks for all your support and encouragement over the past years. You are all fantastic people. Thanks again.
-Mike-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan.schumaker

That's too bad to hear Mike, you always made some kick-ass builds!

Govmnt_Lacky

Well SH!T Mike..... that is some sad news brother! I always enjoyed seeing what you had built and came up with.

Give it some time... I didn't build for just over 2 years and then I suddenly got the urge again. Sometimes it just takes the right project to get you back in. It does get 'stale' after a while but, look for challenges. Nothing comes from your 55th OD pedal.... look for that complex BBD-based build or OTA build.

In the mean time... if you ever need anything... you know I owe ya'  ;D

jimilee

Maaann what is going on???? I haven't built anything in some time, but I'm not hanging it up, I've been working on guitars instead. When something really cool comes out, I may build it. But for now, I too am content with not building things.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Thanks for the...condolences / kind words. Life has been a mess lately and this is more of a commitment to fix other things before creating new. Since the whole "Columbia Gas" catastrophes and trying to get life back together it's been super stressful and demoralizing. I can't focus and I am starting to get water in the basement, where my shop is. So that's distracting / frustrating too. Work is crazy, my daughter is starting kindergarten, and 2 dogs and a house...plus a marriage. Life is crazy!!! As we all know and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here so I'll stop ranting. This was just something that I could "trim" that wasn't fun for me anymore. I'll still be here (on the forum) and probably build things strictly for me but not for a while. I'll contribute as much as possible and those that like asking me questions I will still answer. Just letting the building part go for a while.

marmora

I took an extended break and don't build much these days, but I still check in here because this is a good corner of the internet.
Just finished up new switches and LEDs on an FM4 this past week. I remembered, and looked up, your post on your FM4 and wanted to say thanks for sharing. You take care of yourself, but please remember what you shared has helped others.

EBK

I almost feel like there should be some formal symbolic ceremony to retire from pedal building, perhaps soldering all the leads of a transistor together.  It's reversible if you decide to get back into building a couple years later.   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

juansolo

With you bud. Glad you're sticking around here though. It's a good place this. One of the few corners of the internet that is.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Muadzin

I can't remember the last time I built a pedal, I have no plans to built anything other then guitars, but I still got all my supplies stashed somewhere. The biggest mistake that people make when they quit something is to get rid of everything. Only to suffer regret later on and having to spend a lot of $$$$ to require it again. Stash it, out of sight, out of mind. And no regrets later. And who knows, maybe one day your kids may come across it and think its very cool? And take it up themselves?

bcalla

Hey Mike -
I wondered why I haven't seen any posts from you lately.

Sad to hear this, but I get it.  A handful of other things have risen higher than building on my priority list.  I haven't finished a pedal in about a year.  I have done a couple non-pedal projects and I still check in here pretty much every day.  I also have 4-5 half-finished pedals that I will finish, and tons of PCBs that I still think I will get to some day.

I didn't realize you were a Columbia Gas victim.  How long were you without heat?
Bob

m-Kresol

all the best for your future endeavors. Sad to see you go, I always enjoyed your build and I think we all appreciated your activity in the community
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

brejna

Sad to hear this... I am thinking from time to time the same thing, but I keep building stuff and there is always something new. For example, I didn't build enough fuzzes or multi builds. So there is always space for fun :)
At the moment I am quite a lot into tube amps and that could be your new area (which is more expensive). So you never know... ;)

Brane

peAk

Good luck, Mike. Definitely hope you still post here. I think you are making a smart move by keeping your stuff. I have went a year or more without building pedals but still get the itch from time to time.

flanagan0718

Quote from: bcalla on June 19, 2019, 07:45:41 AM
I didn't realize you were a Columbia Gas victim.  How long were you without heat?
Bob

I had no heat, hot water, or stove for 9 weeks (September to November). I'm a handy guy and installed a electric insta-hot water heater on the bathroom line for showers and baths. Then I installed a pellet stove in the living room for heat. It was a cold October and November! Had to do it.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will be unloading a lot of things, overstock stuff, partial builds, enclosures, and KNOBS...I have SO MANY KNOBS. But that will be later. Probably after summer.

Like I said I'll still be here and if something grabs my eye I'm not gonna pass it up. I just need to refocus / take a break / learn to enjoy it again if possible. Thanks for the support guys. If it weren't for all of you. I would have never learned this stuff. Thanks guys and thanks to Brian for hosting the last awesome corner of the intrawebz!!!
-Mike-