News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

meat sphere trouble

Started by mikef, June 27, 2019, 03:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikef

Hello! I am having some difficulty with the Meat Sphere,( taylors very sweeT pcb, i may ad)
Everything seems to work, but the two diffused green leds  are doing nothing at all. I tried the  VTL 5C3, but I thought they were faulty or just being difficult,as I read over on the other forum they were prone to be,hence opting for the 'Roll your own".
I did install and have  the TL 074 backwards the first time firing it up. I replaced it with a brand new one and also swapped out the LM1458, just to be extra sure. The Photocells  are small bear sku #9200s(CdS 5mm Light Resistance 10 Min,  50KMax,Min. Dark Resistance rated at 5megs.) and when I try different settings and sweep my hands oer them, they are  definitely doing what they are supposed to do. (I will put the leds/cds in a tube sheath/shrink-wrap after i get them greenies working) any input would be greatly appreciated!

PMowdes2

Quote from: mikef on June 27, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
Hello! I am having some difficulty with the Meat Sphere,( taylors very sweeT pcb, i may ad)
Everything seems to work, but the two diffused green leds  are doing nothing at all. I tried the  VTL 5C3, but I thought they were faulty or just being difficult,as I read over on the other forum they were prone to be,hence opting for the 'Roll your own".
I did install and have  the TL 074 backwards the first time firing it up. I replaced it with a brand new one and also swapped out the LM1458, just to be extra sure. The Photocells  are small bear sku #9200s(CdS 5mm Light Resistance 10 Min,  50KMax,Min. Dark Resistance rated at 5megs.) and when I try different settings and sweep my hands oer them, they are  definitely doing what they are supposed to do. (I will put the leds/cds in a tube sheath/shrink-wrap after i get them greenies working) any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not totally familiar with this pcb but I have built a bunch of meatballs.

Does it pass a clean signal??

Does the pcb have a send and return loop, and if so have you wired it properly.

I remember that my builds were very sensitive to the ICs that I used, and also to the strength of the input signal, I found it worked best with a clean boost up front.

Lastly the settings are critical.  Attack always has to be set less than decay, and the trigger does not work when the band width toggle is set to off (as opposed to half or full)
DeadEndFX

LaceSensor

Try any other dual op amp

TL072 for instance

mikef

LOl. Looks like a simple misplacement of a wire had the green diffused leds shunted. Wire moved,TA-DA! (I tried the VTL 5c3s that are recommended, but it will not work at all with those!) Unit seems to still not be working, but I am going to goof with the settings and see what is up.  like PMowdes2 posted "Lastly the settings are critical.  Attack always has to be set less than decay, and the trigger does not work when the band width toggle is set to off (as opposed to half or full)"

alanp

Glad it's working for you. The Meatball is my favourite envelope filter pedal, but it's the absolute worst for settings that do nothing. (The Ring Stinger is different, every setting does something, just maybe not something musical that you want.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mikef

Quote from: alanp on July 13, 2019, 05:29:23 AM
Glad it's working for you. The Meatball is my favourite envelope filter pedal, but it's the absolute worst for settings that do nothing. (The Ring Stinger is different, every setting does something, just maybe not something musical that you want.)
Thanks!c Well,we shall see.just got the leds going...getting it to actually quack,that's still up in the air!