Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Economy memory man, a simple analog delay

Started by thomasha, July 02, 2019, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Quote from: pickdropper on July 02, 2019, 03:14:36 PM
This is fantastic on so many levels.

This is fantastic madness on so many levels. Fixed that mistake for you Dave.

Seriously, it's just crazy how you do your builds. Never seize to amaze me.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

This is GLORIOUS!!! You are a Wizard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midwayfair

benny_profane

Well, there's just no way you're gonna get the delay times you're after like that! You gotta have at least a 8x7" box for the sounds to bounce around and really build up that delay time.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: EBK on July 03, 2019, 03:09:09 AM
Someone needs to find Thomas some smaller enclosures to work with.  He's no longer being challenged.  ;D

...right... or... Build one, that can also hold a battery in the same enclosure ;-)

ahiddentableau

Another amazing build.  I bow down to you and the helpful Oompa-Loompa you hire to use his tiny little hands to finish the wiring!

thomasha

So when I finally had some time to make a video,
I realized I have no idea what to play.

So, just as an update, the clock was set to max delay at 155k, so 55k more than the original.

And the final schematic:

thomasha

So, after building the deluxe memory man I decided to add another BBD to get more time out of this circuit too.

That small yellow cap goes to another BBD between the potentiometer and the output jack. I twisted the clock wires, in white, so that there is no clock signal going direct to the input jack (in my first attempt that happened...). Interesting to see that stuff learned with tube amps also applies here even at much higher frequencies.

To compare the new version of the economy memory man with the DMM I made a short video.

I played the same lick to show the different sounds. Now the delay of the dirtbag sounds shorter, but still much brighter. Both are nice builds, but in the video the dirt bag sounds much fuller, while the economy memory man is kind os sterile. On the other hand, the economy version as much more low end.

lars

Yes. My first thought too was that you needed to add more components to that tiny enclosure. You have at least two atoms worth of space still!
Very impressive. You will be the first person to have an entire pedalboard made of a Les Paul pickgaurd.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

dan.schumaker

Quote from: thomasha on November 19, 2019, 12:52:45 PM
So, after building the deluxe memory man I decided to add another BBD to get more time out of this circuit too.

My first thought was "where are you going to add another?"  Good job man, looks and sounds awesome!

Marshall Arts

I think there is still room for a battery :-)

Govmnt_Lacky

Just out of curiosity... did anyone else notice the LED on the dirtbag blink a few times around the 0:50 to 0:55 mark? Is that a function of the build? If not... might want to look at it just in case  :o

thomasha

The led blinking is the overload circuit. THe led only blinks whe the signal is strong enough to distort the signal. When the level is maxed it is always on.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: thomasha on November 20, 2019, 02:26:31 PM
The led blinking is the overload circuit. THe led only blinks whe the signal is strong enough to distort the signal. When the level is maxed it is always on.

Very nice!  8)

diablochris6

Somehow I missed this original post. Simply amazing. Maximum impact and efficiency! I'm calling you when I need to pack my car for vacation.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here