News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Bass Day!!!

Started by matmosphere, July 04, 2019, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

My brother built this for me from a this kit:

https://thefretwire.com/collections/diy-bass-guitar-kits/products/diy-electric-bass-guitar-kit-semi-hollow-body-bass-build-your-own

Turned out really well. He did a great job on the finish. It looks fantastic.

I upgraded the bridge to a hipshot drop in replacement, and I had Timbo wind some pickups for me. The neck is a thunderbird bass pickup, and the bridge is a slightly smaller p-bass pickup that fits under the hum bucker cover.

Had a chance to play it through and amp a little and it sounds great. it has a very nice growl.

Really digging it so far. My main bass for years has been an old (60's) Epiphone Rivoli, so the same body but short scale (30") which I actually prefer. The new one is a Fender scale (34") and hopefully will pull off the sound of the old rivoli and that p bass sound as well.

ahiddentableau

Nice!

I built a 335 guitar kit from the same place.  I reshaped the neck to make it narrower, did a complete fret level and crown, cut a new bone nut, and then completely replaced the pickups (with a duncan Alnico Pro II in the neck and the slash signature APII in the bridge--they were the most vintage style I could find relatively cheap used on eBay at the time and wow, they're great...the slash pickup in particular is the cat's ass), all the electronics and all the hardware.  Finished with keda dye and truoil, it really turned out great. 

Does it have the imitation rosewood fingerboard on yours?  (I just clicked in the link and it appears so?)  That's really the only part of the kit that I'm unhappy with.  Mine is already flaking off--the little strips of fibre are peeling off of the surface of the board resulting in pitting.  I'm considering putting a finish on the fingerboard.  How's the board on yours?  Did your bro finish it, or leave it raw?  How's it working for you?

jimilee

Wow, that's fantastic looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

That looks amazing, he really did a great job on the finish!

dogfish

I think that P may have come from a pickup that he made for me a while ago! His pickups sound great. Killer bass!