News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Effects Loops switch pedal and 3pdt pcb's

Started by pgodfrin, July 10, 2019, 08:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgodfrin

Greetings folks,
Noobie here... I am attempting a multi-loop switch pedal using a schematic from "guitar FX layouts". I thought it would make my life easier by using one of those "love my switches" 3pdt pcbs. They are labeled such:
IJ=input jack tip
I=circuit in
V=voltage
G=ground
O=output circuit
OJ=output jack tip

I simply can't figure out which wire goes where! I slapped in an led, and a battery, (I tested the led with the battery voltage), but the led does not light up for any switch click.

Yeah... I'm pretty confused. Any help?
phil

BrianS

Go here

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/index.html

There's a tutorial at the bottom on wiring a 3pdt.

In/out jack tip wire goes to the tip of the respective jack.
In/out wire goes to the in and out on board.
Voltage is positive power.
Ground is self explanatory.

Read the tutorial all the way through and you should have a good understanding of what to do.

pgodfrin

Thanks very much. While that tutorial is excellent, it does not address the pcb...

BrianS

Your jack has two solder points, i.e., tip and sleeve.  The tip is the input and the sleeve is ground.  So on your 3pdt board the IJ wire goes to the tip solder point of the input jack. The OJ wire goes to the tip solder joint of your out jack.  V - is your positive  voltage and the wire goes to the + side of your power jack. G- your ground wire goes to the - on your power jack and to the input jack sleeve solder point.  The I wire goes to the input point of your board and the O wire goes to the board output point. 

The reason I asked you to read the tutorial is for you to think of your 3pdt board as nothing more than a 3pdt switch without the board.  Every lug on the switch basically corresponds with your board.  Instead of going to the switch all your points are on the front of your board.

pgodfrin

OK, Kewl, thanks Brian. I did pretty much exactly that, added a battery to the 9v connections (for testing) and could not get the led to light. So the tricky part for me, this project is a switch box, so there is an input, a send, a receive, and and output jack - 4 in all. There is no effects pcb so the I and O points don't go anywhere.

Is it possible the I and O points go to the tips of the send and receive jacks?

Also, since I'm testing without a metal enclosure, where do I attach the ground points? I've been using the negative side of the battery, but I'm not sure if that's right...
pg

BrianS

When you say a switch box are you talking about an a/b box?
If you would post a picture it might be easier to see what you're doing.
And you need a pull down resistor on the positive leg of the led. 

Goggle how to build an a/b switch box and click on images if that's what your trying to do.  There are some on there that are easy to follow.

pgodfrin

Howdy, yep actually an A/B/C (three loops) eventually. I picked up a 'pre-wired' led from Love My Switches, so the resistor is in the little housing. I've been referring to this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SzM32SDZGdM/UX_DmZFl5aI/AAAAAAAAFhg/Bp3b9omf8Ds/s1600/TB+Looper+5+with+buffer+and+tuner.png

But I will look up some A/B boxes... I did figure out that the grounding of the jacks does not go to the neg. of the battery...

pgodfrin

I think I figured it out. I took the led out of the loop as that was confusing the isse. Indeed, for a bypass pedal, the circuit in/out lugs go t o the send and receive, but the pcb is wired for true bypass (I think) and the circuit solder points, the lugs for that matter, never turn off the circuit i/0, and simply switches the audio. So either I get a proper pcb for switching like this, which is intended to make soldering and all that easier, or I just go back t basics and directly wire the switch logs according to the diagrams...
sigh

mjg

Probably quicker to just wire up the switches according to the diagram you have.  You are right, the switching board that you have tried is designed for doing true bypass, so that isn't going to do what you want.

pgodfrin

Sometimes, it's refreshing to be a num-nuts!
thanks folks