News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help finding this enclosure

Started by Guava, August 04, 2019, 07:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guava

Does anybody know what type of enclosure this is?  I like the style but can't find it at any of the pedal-specific suppliers.

vicfiveleven

Looks like a proco rat's.   I like it too. I read somewhere and that looks like a Hammond 1456.  There's a sloped one if that's what you're after.

Guava

Man that's on the right track!  But I'm looking for a flat version—I've attached another photo showing what I mean. Ever seen one of these?

benny_profane

Did you try asking that company? Who knows, that could work.

davent

It could be one they've bent up themselves, simple folds.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Guava

bcalla

I have some advice regarding drilling that series of Hammond enclosures.  They're relatively expensive and I've learned the hard way...

The aluminum top is very thin and flexible.  If you don't secure and brace the top properly on your drill press, it will flex, which in some cases will affect the location and size/shape of the holes.  Drilling on the back for jacks and power is most challenging.  It works best if you clamp the surface you're drilling to a scrap block of wood.  But because of the way the edges are rolled this is not always possible.

pickdropper

Quote from: bcalla on August 11, 2019, 08:22:53 AM
I have some advice regarding drilling that series of Hammond enclosures.  They're relatively expensive and I've learned the hard way...

The aluminum top is very thin and flexible.  If you don't secure and brace the top properly on your drill press, it will flex, which in some cases will affect the location and size/shape of the holes.  Drilling on the back for jacks and power is most challenging.  It works best if you clamp the surface you're drilling to a scrap block of wood.  But because of the way the edges are rolled this is not always possible.

I'll go further and say that drilling these enclosures sucks a LOT.  I had to machine out a larger box for a test fixture at work and ended up using a combination of drilling, greenlee punches and a nibbler (ok that was for a square cutout).  Doing it on the mill was frustrating.  For the drilled parts, I used the method you suggested with a block of wood, clamps and a light bit of swearing.

The Hammonds look a little different than the one in the pic.  I suspect those are custom made to order.  As Davent mentioned, getting bend metal enclosures isn't particularly difficult, it's just pricey if you are getting them made in low volume.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper