News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do you etch the holes in the pads?

Started by skypn, July 17, 2019, 10:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I don't rightly know how to phrase the question for google, or a search. When you guys etch a pcb, do you etch the holes for the components in the pads, or leave the pads solid so there is copper all the way to the holes? TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

EBK

Basically the same result either way once you drill. You're still going to have copper close enough to the drilled hole. Having a hole in the copper layer first makes it easier to place your drill bit though and reduces the risk of the bit tearing out the pad.  So, yes, etch the hole rather than leaving it solid.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

skypn

Thank You Oakey. What is the standard size for the hole, if I may ask?

EBK

I'll have to let someone else tag in for that.  It's been many many years since I last drilled a board.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

skypn

I would guess the same as perf board

gordo

I bought some from a hobby shop that specializes in R/C and model trains.  I believe they were #66
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

peterc

I always make my holes .7mm, then if the ole is actually bigger I just drill it out to the correct size.

If you a sending your boards out to fab, be careful and make sure they are the correct size.....
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

temol

I always etch holes in the solder pads. It's easier to drill perfectly (almost) centered holes then.

T.

davent

Quote from: temol on July 18, 2019, 02:21:10 AM
I always etch holes in the solder pads. It's easier to drill perfectly (almost) centered holes then.

T.

This, having a ready made dimple for the drill bit to lock into is a great help. For the etch the hole size of the art is smaller then the drilled size so there's no room for the bit to wander.

Hole size, for most components a #71 (0.026") drill bit works tightly, #70 will be my next goto. Most stuff bigger a #65 (0.035") drill bit covers it.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?